Senior Cost Engineer
Body & Chassis
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Irvine, CA, USA
- BS/BA Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Supply Chain, Business Administration, or Finance or 20+ years tooling experience with apprenticeship/journeyman card
- 5+ years of automotive-related experience at OEM or Tier 1 Manufacturer
- Proven experience in manufacturing process required for cost model development of body and chassis components and assembly: metal stamping, die design, extrusion, sand casting, die casting, welding, adhesive bonding, and metal post processing techniques (heat treat, coatings)
- Ability to navigate CAD models in CATIA or similar
- Ability to read and understand design and manufacturing drawings
- Practical knowledge of Value Analysis / Value Engineering (VAVE) techniques and strong financial awareness
- Capability to independently create a Bill of Materials (BoM) on a given commodity or design and assign cost
- A start-up personality: entrepreneurial, ambitious, independent, systematic attention to detail, structured thinker, goal-oriented, flexible, and able to deal well with setbacks
- Work as an active member of the team, ensure effective communication between colleagues and positively contribute regularly to meetings and briefings
- Strategic thinking skills and detail-oriented work habits
- Master's degree (or higher) in Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Engineering Management or similar
- Solid knowledge of vehicle parts and subsystems and knowledge of part interaction
- Proficiency in CATIA, or similar CAD based design programs
- Proficiency in aPriori or similar digital cost modeling tools
- Cost Engineering
- Provide guidance to the design requirements or design engineer for proposed new or modified designs to achieve required function at minimum or target cost
- Develop should cost estimates and projections for multiple vehicle commodities on vehicle Exterior and Interior, including powertrain, chassis, and electrical. Utilize information ranging from written assumptions, sample parts, CAD models and engineering drawings
- Gather details and compile data to estimate all production costs considering raw materials, labor, and tooling for estimations or should cost models
- Interface with manufacturing plants and suppliers to ensure most economical tooling, processing and operations that will contribute to profitable production
- Support Rivian Procurement in analysis and review of supplier cost breakdowns to drive cost reduction opportunities through negotiations with suppliers
- Mentor Rivian Procurement team members based on manufacturing and process cost expertise
- Support competitive vehicle benchmarking to provide input for future model development and target costs
- Perform Value Analysis / Value Engineering (VAVE) activities to generate cost reduction ideas through identification of process and product efficiencies that will reduce overall costs. Work with all stakeholders to support cost reduction targets
- Project Management
- Lead and facilitate cost review sessions with cross functional stakeholders; report cost risks and opportunities based on should cost models
- Take ownership of projects; plan milestones and identify potential risks to deliver cost models within agreed completion dates
- Be proactive regarding task completion and periodically advise cross functional team on project status, timing, resources, issues, and ability to deliver on-time with excellence
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
Company Core Values
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team