HuffPost is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, Inc.
As part of our esteemed news organization, HuffPost is a leading source of award-winning news and commentary for the most diverse and connected generation ever— with reporting spanning across politics, lifestyle, entertainment and more. HuffPost believes in putting people before power and telling the stories that too often go unheard, from the voices that matter.
Business Area: HuffPost
Salary band:130,000-155,000 USD
Union Status: NonUnion
BuzzFeed Inc. is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. We reserve the ability to adjust the final compensation for this role based on the final candidate’s experience, skillset, certifications, and geography.
HuffPost seeks a dynamic, experienced editor to lead HuffPost’s political reporting. Millions of readers trust HuffPost for around-the-clock political news, and the senior politics editor is expected to drive fast-paced, agenda-setting coverage. This editor must have a demonstrated record of inspiring and improving the work of their reporters, an ability to generate scoops and a keen awareness of how to serve HuffPost’s large and growing audience.
Standout political coverage has been a top priority at HuffPost since its founding nearly 20 years ago; this position is critical to HuffPost’s mission. We are looking for a candidate who can energize our newsroom and take our political reporting to new heights.
Our strong preference is for this editor to be based in the Washington, D.C. area, although we may be open to outstanding candidates in other locations.
- Manage and edit a talented team of ~10 reporters and work with them on selecting story angles, establishing coverage priorities and fine-tuning pieces.
- Direct coverage of high-profile political news and policy: Elections, congressional hearings, debates, legislation, the executive branch, the judiciary, important state and local news, foreign policy and more.
- Collaborate with HuffPost’s Breaking News and National desks as well as Audience, Front and Visuals teams to ensure high-impact, comprehensive coverage that resonates with readers.
- Establish high standards for every aspect of our political reporting: HuffPost should regularly break news, offer thorough, up-to-the-minute coverage of important political stories, and stand out with a clear, unique voice.
- Create and execute a vision for HuffPost’s political reporting: Which issues and coverage areas are most important, and how can we best serve our audience and break through a highly competitive space in journalism?
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth and joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen and interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company.
- 5+ years experience in political digital journalism at national outlets, including multiple years editing.
- Deep knowledge of American politics and public policy.
- Proven ability to direct a fast-tempo news team.
- Extensive contacts and sources: know how to guide reporters to break news.
- Skilled editing touch: be able to polish story drafts, sharpen ledes and write headlines that pop.
- Excellent journalistic judgment: know when to jump on a story, when to hold off, and where to direct resources for maximum impact.
- A thorough understanding of audience metrics and the capacity to publish powerful journalism that lands with readers.
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.