Analyst II General Accounting-Reinsurance
Updated on 2/8/2024
We are on a mission to help more people achieve the sense of protection
Protective Life stands out for its century-long commitment to providing security and protection to over 12 million customers, underpinned by a people-first culture and a dedication to fulfilling promises. The company's financial stability, demonstrated by its $132 billion in assets, and its affiliation with Dai-ichi Life Holdings, Inc., provide a competitive edge in the industry. Moreover, Protective Life's robust virtual workforce and core sites across multiple locations highlight its adaptability and commitment to technological advancement.
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 1%
1 year growth↑ 6%
2 year growth↑ 13%
Birmingham, AL, USA
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting
- CPA and/or MAcc/MBA designation preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years of applicable accounting and general ledger experience
- Working knowledge of GAAP accounting
- Strong analytical and technical accounting abilities
- Insurance accounting experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Booking monthly and quarterly activity for multiple TPA agreements
- Completing monthly and quarterly deliverables
- Preparing key account reconciliations
- Researching key variances and anomalies
- Assisting with internal and external auditors
- Supporting TPA inquiries
- Assisting with general accounts and separate accounts statutory statements
- Cross-training within the team
- Other accounting and financial job duties as assigned
- Statutory accounting and reporting knowledge
- Experience with reinsurance accounting
- Strong deductive and inductive reasoning skills
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can be a part of it.
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
Basic Purpose and Objective of the Position
This position will assist in the oversight of the reinsurance process for multiple reinsurers. More specifically, this position is responsible for completing various monthly and quarterly accounting responsibilities including general ledger and insurance subledger journal entries, reporting packages/deliverables, reconciliations for reinsurance accounts, and other various assigned duties related to reinsurance accounting work. This position will help ensure data integrity by analyzing work and providing support.
These responsibilities must be performed timely and accurately with great attention to detail. This position will, from time to time, be assigned accounting projects in order to assist with specific corporate and/or department goals and objectives.
This position uses tools such as Excel, SAP, SAP Analysis for Office, and various administrative systems. An understanding of the detail workings of Protective’s general ledger and insurance subledger will also be required.
- Responsible for booking monthly and quarterly activity, ensuring calculations and entries are accurate for multiple TPA agreements.
- Responsible for completing monthly and quarterly deliverables, including settlement statements, cession entry checks, and various other reports and deliverables.
- Responsible for analyzing results and providing additional support and explanation when needed.
- Responsible for preparation of key account reconciliations.
- Responsible for researching key variance and/or anomalies and reaching out to the appropriate departments to correct.
- Assist with support for internal and external auditors for quarterly and annual reviews.
- Serve as one of the points of contact and assist with support for TPA inquiries.
- Assist with various general accounts and separate accounts statutory statements and exhibits as assigned.
- Cross-training within the team.
- Other accounting and financial job duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting is required, with a CPA and/or MAcc/MBA designation preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of applicable accounting and general ledger experience is required, preferably in the insurance industry.
- This position requires high level critical thinking skills, a strong sense of urgency, and a working knowledge of GAAP accounting (Statutory accounting and reporting is a plus), general ledgers, accounting related systems/ databases and operational accounting process flows.
- The position is expected to be at a level beyond just reporting and tying numbers and must be able to understand underlying trends.
- This position requires very strong analytical and technical accounting related abilities to ensure accounting related processes and systems are operating in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Attention to detail is a must to be successful in this position.
- Strong deductive and inductive reasoning skills are a must.
- Insurance accounting experience is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills are needed as there will be frequent interaction with reinsurance companies, management, IT employees, LAD Finance, Reinsurance Administration, Claims, Corporate Accounting, Actuarial and various other departments.
Protective’s targeted salary range for this position is $59,500 to $75,000. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors, including but not limited to, job location, skills, and experience. The range listed is just one component of Protective’s total compensation package for employees.
This position also offers additional incentive opportunities [through an annual incentive based on individual and Company performance] OR [through cash compensation as part of a sales incentive plan (SIP).
We aim to protect our employees’ wellbeing through a broad benefits offering. For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits (e.g., paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k) plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards, Protective’s platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash rewards.
Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in accordance with the terms of the Company’s benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees are able to fully contribute and thrive. Our goal is to grow and develop our people, attract diverse talent and support strong, diverse communities.
We support diversity, equity, and inclusion by working to develop a culture of inclusion and belonging led by leaders who develop potential and embrace unique skills and abilities. Our aim is to create an equitable and accountable environment for all leaders and employees that will drive performance and impact business strategy. In this way, we can increase overall diversity for leadership roles and pipelines of talent by maturing our hiring practices, robust development opportunities and focus on retention of key talent.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.