Staff Software Engineer
Updated on 9/27/2022
Canada • Remote
Google Cloud Platform
- Experience designing and owning fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems
- Experience with cloud networking infrastructure systems including service meshes, CDNs, API Gateways, Load Balancers, DNS, WAFs, proxies, HTTP and best practices for providing high availability services
- Experience with Kubernetes and Cloud Native projects such as Envoy, gRPC, CoreDNS, Linkerd, Prometheus, ArgoCD, OPA, KEDA, etc as well as Istio and NGINX
- Strong CS fundamentals and hands oncoding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, C++, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or other cloud providers
- You value keeping costs low while building your products
- You prefer using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions rather than building solutions from ground up
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Design frameworks, services, and tools to support new capabilities that help Affirm scale for millions of users and their transactions
- Lead technical decisions, projects, and roadmaps within the team and across all of Affirm. Define and own Affirm's north-south and east-west traffic strategies across our Kubernetes clusters to improve performance and availability
- Collaborate with other technical leads, management, and stakeholders across the broader engineering organization
- Bring subject matter expertise in networking - including but not limited to security, monitoring, intra-AZ flows and in-depth network performance observability
- Build self-serve systems that are easy for other Engineering teams to use and operate
- Educate, mentor and grow junior and senior engineers in the team, and drive high standards around design, coding and testing
- Experience with IaC platforms such as CloudFormation or Terraform is a plus
Point of sale installment loans for consumers
Affirm seeks to deliver honest financial products—to improve lives. The company operates a buy-now-pay-later platform for consumers at the point of sale.
- Spending wallets: Access tech, food, lifestyle, and family planning wallets for your expenses
- Supportive communities: Get involved with our employee resource groups and community groups
- Remote-first workforce: If your role is remote, you can set up shop anywhere in your home country
- Generous time off: Take the time you need when life happens
- Health benefits: Get a plan that fits your needs
- Mental healthcare: Take care of your mind with great mental health programs
- Parental leave: Birth and non-birth parents get 18 weeks paid leave. Plus, a 4-week return-to-work transition program, at full base pay.
- Compensation: We have a simple, flexible, and transparent remote-first compensation structure so you can make the best decisions for yourself and your family.
- Away days: We offer 24 company-wide paid days off—which help our teams collectively pause to recharge.
- Learning & development: Engage in exciting learning programs to level up your growth.
- People come first: We consider our impact on people’s lives before we think about our own interests.
- No fine print: We are completely transparent and honest—with our customers and with each other.
- It's on us: We take full accountability for our actions, never shirking responsibility or passing the buck.
- Simpler is better: We make complex things simple and clear.
- Push the envelope: We never stop innovating, taking smart risks, and raising the bar.