As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
• Member Safety: Our top priority is to build an authentic, equitable, and respectful community
• Diversity: We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members
• Authenticity + Collaboration: We encourage authenticity to nurture a trustworthy, collaborative environment
• Big Ideas: We champion and rally behind big ideas, empowering people to to think and act differently and to be unafraid of having a strong point of view
• Innovation: We never stand still; we’re inspired to build for what’s next, and we must constantly innovate, experiment, and learn
The Engineering team is responsible for building innovative features and resilient systems that bring people together. We’re always experimenting with new features to engage with our members. Although we are a high-scale tech company, the member-to-engineer ratio is very high—making the level of impact each engineer gets to have at Tinder enormous.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Tinder, you will have an outsized impact and ownership of the most visible aspects of the Tinder App. We are deeply invested in challenging norms, constantly improving architecture design, exploring emergent tech and ideas, and leveraging new technologies in interesting ways to deliver an app that is widely known the world over.
This is a hybrid role and requires in-office collaboration twice per week. This position is located in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and/or Palo Alto, CA.
In this role, you will:
- Design, develop and operate scalable and resilient distributed services that run on Kubernetes or ECS
- Collaborate with various functional teams across Tinder on the expansion of our service platform
- Influence the team roadmap and product development
- Recruit, encourage, and develop other team members
- Excellent knowledge and experience with a backend language like Java, Node.js, Go, C++
- BS/MS in Computer Science or an equivalent field with 5+ years of industry work experience
- Excellent knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and coding
- Strong designing and building distributed backend systems handling high volumes of traffic
- Experience in handling ambiguous business requirements with excellent prioritization, time management abilities, and a focus on execution
- Passion to tackle exciting engineering problems and make continuous improvements
Nice to have:
- Experience with cloud computing systems such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in design and development using NoSQL, such as DynamoDB or Cassandra
- Experience with Redis, ElasticSearch, Kafka, and Spark
- Experience with Typescript
- Agile development methodology and CI/CD
- Experience with Docker containers
As a full-time employee, you’ll enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents) and family forming benefits
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- $500 work-from-home stipend to set you up for remote work
- Free subscription to Tinder Platinum
The salary range for this position is $170,000 - $210,000. Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/training, job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary range is reflective of a position based in California. This salary will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei