Customer Support Engineer
Posted on 2/6/2024
Data analytics query engine software
Starburst’s mission is to free their customers to see the invisible and achieve the impossible with their modern analytics engine software that addresses data silo and speed of access problems. The company has built their SQL-based MBP query engine based on open source Trino that delivers teams a common query tool that gives teams the ability to run analytics on data where it lives without moving data or making copies.
Data & Analytics
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↓ -9%
1 year growth↓ -14%
2 year growth↑ 5%
Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in supporting customers with technical inquiries
- Background in deploying and debugging complex systems
- Knowledge of distributed systems, Hadoop, cloud technologies, security, DBMSs, and Java
- Strong communication skills
- Curiosity to learn and explore various approaches and solutions
- Respond to and resolve Galaxy & SEP customer inquiries via chat, email, or call session within specified SLA windows
- Contribute to the customer-facing self-serve knowledge base
- Collaborate with pre and post-sales teams to ensure cross-functional alignment and customer satisfaction
- Participate in ongoing personal learning and team training and development
- Escalate and manage escalated issues with Engineering to ensure good outcomes for customers
- Experience with Big Data (Hadoop, Data Lakes, Spark)
- Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes, cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP), security, SSL/TLS, Linux, DBMS Concepts/SQL, and programming languages (SQL, Java, Python, Bash)
At Starburst, we are working to dismantle the status quo of data silos and vendor lock-in every single day. For decades, database companies have held their customers hostage and we believe that’s just plain wrong. Starburst offers a full-featured data lake analytics platform, built on open source Trino. Our platform includes all the capabilities needed to discover, organize, and consume data without the need for time-consuming and costly migration projects. Today more than 300 leading organizations trust us to make better decisions faster.
Though Starburst has raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded in a rather unusual way as we bootstrapped the business with customers and revenue from the very beginning! We are a remote-first company with employees all over the world and are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the Role
As a Starburst Data Customer Support Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting our SEP (Starburst Enterprise Platform) and Galaxy customers that submit break/fix and other technical inquiries. You will work on a wide range of support matters including but not limited to configuration, security, integration, and cluster issues to ensure our customers can maximize their experience with Starburst products. Additionally, this role serves as a liaison to ensure that customers receive appropriate and timely service.
We’re looking for highly motivated individuals with backgrounds in deploying and debugging complex systems. Background in distributed systems, Hadoop, cloud technologies, security, DBMSs, and navigating a complex Java codebase are beneficial technical skills. Equally important are strong communication skills, and the ability to function in a fast-paced dynamic environment when needed.
Trino encompasses a wide range of technologies, therefore a curiosity to learn and explore various approaches and solutions is a must, and most important is the desire and ability to learn and work cross-functionally in a highly customer-success-oriented company.
Working hours are 7am - 4pm EST.
As a Customer Support Engineer at Starburst you will:
- Respond to and resolve Galaxy & SEP customer inquiries via chat, email, or call session, within specified SLA windows
- Contribute to our customer-facing self-serve knowledge base
- Collaborate with our pre and post-sales teams to ensure cross-functional alignment and customer satisfaction
- Enthusiastically participate in ongoing personal learning including active participation in team training and development
- Escalate and manage escalated issues with Engineering to ensure good outcomes for our customers
Some of the things we look for:
- Big Data (Hadoop, Data Lakes, Spark)
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Security - Authentication (LDAP, OAuth2.0) and Authorization technologies
- Linux Skills
- DBMS Concepts/SQL Exposure Languages: SQL, Java, Python, Bash
Why build your career at Starburst?
We live by our three core company values: Character, Competence, and Ownership and are a team of top performers. We are each in the driver’s seat, shaping our organization and working together towards our common mission. We are solving exceptionally complex and meaningful challenges here and as we innovate, we each have the opportunity to build our careers alongside Starbursts’s growth.
We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, flexible paid time off, and more!
Starburst Data is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place to work. Everyone is welcome at the Starburst table and we have several employee resource groups such as Womxn At Starburst, Starburst Military, and Starburst Pride. We know that the more diverse perspectives we have at the table will only serve us to make a better team and company.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.