Staff Electrical Engineer
BMS Hardware Design
Posted on 2/27/2023
Palo Alto, CA, USA
- 6+ year track record of electrical engineering accomplishments, curiosity, continual learning and “system level” thinking
- Excellent collaboration, communication and influencing skills - this is a highly collaborative role
- Experience working in small to medium size organizations that provided exposure to a broad set of challenges across both EE hardware and software domains
- Extensive knowledge of BMS hardware/software features and safety concepts
- Proven track record of delivering high-quality, high-performance BMS hardware (in low or high voltage systems to mass production)
- Broad knowledge of common analog and digital circuits, MCUs, sensors, signal conditioning, control theory and embedded software
- Experience with common embedded systems protocols and their hw implementation (e.g. SPI, CAN, I2C, SENT)
- Hands on experience using lab equipment and being comfortable working with Li-Ion batteries
- Experience with control algorithm, embedded software and general software architecture design and development process
- Basic experience of design for reliability principles and corresponding reliability testing
- Knowledge of EMI, EMC, electrical safety and regulatory requirements for products in this class
- Accomplishments in taking new products through mass production launch
- Formal electrical engineering education, B.S. minimum, higher preferred
- Join a cross functional team with the mission of developing a new light electric vehicle product line
- Be the technically responsible individual for developing the electrical BMS hardware, define hardware and software enabled customer experience features and requirements
- Methodically work on transferring product level requirements to subsystem requirements, system block diagrams, and software functions
- Develop test and validation plans ensuring the hardware meet safety, reliability and performance requirements
- Develop a DFMEA for both BMS HW and controls
- Implement functional safety concepts into the HW design
- Circuit modeling and simulation, worst case circuit analysis
- Electrical design including component selection, schematic capture, layout, work closely with PCBA fab houses and contract manufacturers on bringing the hardware to mass production
- Collaborate with controls and software peers to define and maintain high level software functional descriptions and state diagrams
- Be the point of contact between own team and other systems (such as System Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Software, Controls…) within Rivian to achieve collaboration and efficiencies across the company
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
Company Core Values
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team