Reporting to the Head of Tax, the Tax Manager is responsible for assisting with Sumo Logic’s tax compliance, planning, and accounting for income taxes. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented and have the ability and willingness to roll-up their sleeves and execute in a team-oriented environment. The Tax Manager will work with business partners, service providers and other tax professionals to carry out their responsibilities. It is essential that the successful candidate has strong communication and leadership skills, a well-rounded tax background, hands-on accounting experience and a desire to problem solve in a non-routine, dynamic environment.
- Oversee all global direct and indirect compliance, including income, sales and use, property, and consumption-based taxes. Includes actively monitoring US, state, and international tax legislative and judicial actions, analyzing potential impacts/benefits, and implementation of mitigation or action plans for the Company
- Manage 3rd party tax advisors and assist in the review and data preparation of federal and state income tax returns, foreign income tax and VAT returns, as well as statutory reporting
- Review tax provision calculations and related financial statement disclosures
- Manage all indirect taxes, including Avalara processes, related accounting, reconciliations, and reporting
- Assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of global indirect tax policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Assist with the implementation of tax planning opportunities, driving process efficiencies, quality improvements, and risk minimization strategies related to foreign operations
- Assist with transfer pricing planning, implementation, and documentation, including maintenance of cost sharing structures
- Assist with resolution of tax issues related to audits and mergers and acquisitions
- Provide guidance on proposed and enacted tax legislation, keeping abreast of tax law changes in the US and foreign jurisdictions to manage risk and identify potential planning opportunities
- Draft memoranda documenting tax issues and positions
- Be a strategic business partner, advising and supporting domestic and international business teams in tax related issues, policies, and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Master’s in Taxation a plus
- 5+ years of broad, progressive experience and increasing level of responsibility in direct and indirect tax
- Software/technology SaaS industry experience required
- NetSuite and Avalara experience required
- Experience with tax provisions prepared in accordance with ASC 740 and fundamental working knowledge of current GAAP
- Detailed oriented, with strong accounting and analytical skills, and the ability to research tax law and apply relevant tax law to fact patterns
- Strong project management, written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
- Ability to think strategically and act operationally; ability to manage ambiguity, risk, and changing direction of projects and strategies
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to problem solve and work independently with a minimum level of supervision
Sumo Logic, Inc. (NASDAQ: SUMO) empowers the people who power modern, digital business. Through its SaaS analytics platform, Sumo Logic enables customers to deliver reliable and secure cloud-native applications. The Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform™ helps practitioners and developers ensure application reliability, secure and protect against modern security threats, and gain insights into their cloud infrastructures. Customers around the world rely on Sumo Logic to get powerful real-time analytics and insights across observability and security solutions for their cloud-native applications. For more information, visit www.sumologic.com.
The expected annual base salary range for this position is $122,000 - $180,000 . Compensation varies based on a variety of factors which include (but aren’t limited to) such as role level, skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, location, and experience. In addition to base pay, certain roles are eligible to participate in our bonus or commission plans, as well as our benefits offerings, and equity awards.