We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte’s 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 350 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
Meet the Marketplace Operations team (MOPS):
As a part of our Engineering organization, the MOPS team builds and refines internal dashboards and tools that help our teammates automate and scale our operational workflows. MOPS forges partnerships across Upside to create scalable solutions, in addition to reporting on valuable metrics and developing backend automated solutions.
About the job:
In this role, you will help us expand the capabilities of our Retool offerings by building apps that will support the 10x growth the organization is projecting over the next 24 months.
What you’ll do:
- Deliver new Retool applications and maintain existing ones for Operations and other internal teams in order to improve our existing products’ ability to scale with a growing user and merchant demand
- Review and drive requirements and turn them into shaped initiatives
- Build Python “glue” logic, deployed on AWS Lambda using the Serverless framework
- Work on a team of up to 8 engineers and a product manager on our larger projects as well as individually on smaller, bite-sized improvements
- Identify, design, contribute and lead initiatives that positively impact our product
What you need:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with Retool, React or Angular
- Experience with building Python "glue" logic deployed on AWS Lambda
- Proven experience using Git within a workplace environment
- Passion for working in a dynamic and growing startup environment with a tight-knit engineering team
- Eagerness to learn new technologies and stay aligned with the latest developments in the engineering community
- Ability to try new things and fail, then learn and self-improve
Our Technology Stack:
- Angular or React
- Kubernetes clusters in AWS EKS
- AWS Lambdas written in Java and Python 3
- Message Oriented Architecture
- Jenkins and Github Action CI/CD pipeline
- AWS Services (managed through Terraform (RDS), DynamoDB, S3, Athena, SNS, SQS, IAM, VPCs, Elasticache)
The fine print:
- Location: This is a fully-remote role that may sit anywhere in the United States. You’re welcome to work from our DC, Austin, Chicago or New York office if you’re in-region!
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!