6 month growth↑ 4%
1 year growth↑ 27%
2 year growth↑ 50%
- At least 8 years of experience in backend development and infrastructure management
- Experience managing infrastructure at scale
- Expertise in owning and operating Kubernetes, preferably in AWS
- Experience supporting mission-critical applications at scale
- Experience programming in Python
- Comfortable working in a high-velocity startup environment
- Supporting the backend team and taking ownership of the entire DevOps stack
- Driving current and future development as the platform adds support for user-crafted experiences and expands its architecture to embrace UGC
- Working on backend features that directly impact millions of users
- Enhancing cloud native tools and practices to improve systems with regard to business continuity and security
- Orchestrating stateful applications such as game servers
- Experience programming in GO, C# or Lua
- Experience with the Unity Gaming Engine
- Experience orchestrating stateful applications such as game servers
- Built side projects or games outside of work or made significant open-source contributions
- Highly energetic and comfortable leading and pushing a team to succeed
- Comfortable taking control of large systems with minimal documentation
We’re the creators of Highrise, now featured in the iOS App Store with 50 million users and rapidly growing. We’re building bleeding-edge technology for developers and amateurs to create immersive experiences and worlds inside our virtual universe.
We believe that the future of virtual worlds is bright, and we’re excited to be at the forefront of this industry. As we continue to grow and expand our platform, we’re looking for talented individuals to join us on this journey of innovation and creativity. If you’re passionate about building the platform to power virtual experiences that bring people together and push the boundaries of what’s possible, we want you on our team!
About the Role
We are seeking a Senior Backend Engineer with extensive background and experience with DevOps (AWS, Kubernetes, MongoDB). The ideal candidate should be comfortable in a high-energy, high-passion, and fast-moving environment.
This role will support our backend team and take ownership of our entire DevOps stack, which currently supports 300k DAU and is poised to grow significantly higher. This role will drive our current and future development as we add support for user-crafted experiences and expand our architecture to embrace UGC. In addition, the right candidate should be comfortable with feature development in Python and GO, and will have many opportunities to work on backend features that directly impact our millions of users. We are a true startup with a team that wears many hats, and this role is no exception.
The ideal candidate values a lot of control over their career and is genuinely excited to see a virtual universe be brought to life through their work. The success of this role will be measured by the impact you deliver to our team, product, and world.
Our Current Backend Technical Stack:
MongoDB, ElasticSearch and Redis
Async typed Python, Go
OpenSearch, Grafana, Kibana and Prometheus
REST, FlatBuffers, WebSocket Secure (WSS)
Micro Services, event-based architecture
Our Planned Stack Upgrades:
Expand our infrastructure to support global growth
Enhance our cloud native tools and practices to improve our systems with regard to business continuity and security
ML-driven recommendations and search engines
Game server hosting for UGC (User Generated Content)
AI-powered content generation
Here are the skills and qualities we’re looking for in our ideal candidate:
You have at least 8 years of experience in backend development and infrastructure management, with at least 3 of those in a senior+ role.
You have extensive experience managing infrastructure at scale, with proven success at delivering stability and performance.
You have experience with direct ownership of service orchestration with direct involvement in the documentation, support, deployment, observability and CI/CD pipelining.
You are an expert with owning and operating Kubernetes, preferably in AWS.
You have experience with and are comfortable working in a high-velocity startup environment.
You have experience supporting mission-critical applications at scale.
You have experience programming Python.
You love what you do. Your work is your passion and you value working with people who feel the same.
You have experience programming in GO, C# or Lua.
You have experience with the Unity Gaming Engine.
You have experience orchestrating stateful application such as game servers.
You have built any side projects or games outside of work or made significant open-source contributions.
You are a starter who loves to experiment and learn new things.
You’re highly energetic and feel comfortable leading and pushing your team to succeed.
You are comfortable taking control of large systems with minimal documentation.