Kinship and Science & Diagnostics are divisions of Mars Petcare—and are dedicated to one purpose: creating A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS™. Through comprehensive veterinary care, nutrition, breakthrough programs in diagnostics, wearable health monitoring, DNA testing and pet welfare, our 100,000 Petcare Associates help pets in more than 130 countries.
WHO WE ARE
Whistle is the world’s leading smart device for pets that tracks and analyzes changes in health, fitness, and emotional behaviors. Whistle was named "Dog Health Product of 2022" by the Pet Innovation Awards for its ability to help pet parents monitor and manage their dog’s weight, skin and coat health, joint pain, nutrition plans, drinking habits, and sleep patterns. The combination of powerful physical health insights from the device with emotional health and environmental journaling create a truly 360 degree view of a pet’s health. Whistle’s health alerts and actionable reports can be shared with vets and other pet pros to make specific recommendations for personalized pet care.
Whistle sits within the Science & Diagnostics division of Mars Petcare. At Mars Petcare we have one purpose: A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS™. Through comprehensive veterinary care, nutrition, breakthrough programmes in diagnostics, wearable health monitoring, DNA testing and pet welfare we help pets thrive in more than 130 countries. For decades we’ve supported research into the incredible science of human animal interaction at the Waltham Petcare Science Institute where scientists discover important advances in pet health and wellness. Mars Petcare is part of Mars, Incorporated, a global, family-owned business with a focus on becoming Sustainable in a Generation, reflective of the many pets and communities we serve.
OUR (DEPT) TEAM
The Hardware Team are the creators of Whistle, the leading pet tech brand transforming the way we care for our pets by empowering the people who love them. As the pet wearable market leaders, our devices track a pet’s health, location, and fitness, and provide access to on-demand tele-vet services. By combining science and technology, our products help pet parents care for their pets in ways not previously possible, and are changing the way we understand our pets’ overall health and wellbeing.
Our team designs current and future hardware products, the foundation of Whistle’s business. We provide research and technical insights that help shape the definition of new products, exploring emerging technologies that push boundaries and empower our business. We develop core driver and application functionality and maintain a comprehensive database of diagnostic device data to ensure that our products meet the high standard of quality that our customers have come to expect.
As the Senior Hardware Systems Engineer, you will report to the Director of Hardware Engineering.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Demonstrates expanded conceptual knowledge in own discipline and broadens capabilities
- Solves problems in straightforward situations; analyzes possible solutions using technical experience
- Explains complex information to others in straightforward situations
- Ability to identify various options to solve technical problems, describe pros and cons of each option
- Flexible and calm in the face of uncertainty and/or ambiguity
- Perform requirements development, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and manufacturability for total systems
- Design and/or select electrical components/systems (processors, sensors, power management, wireless connectivity ) according to system requirements
- Drive resolution of cross-functional issues including those related to architecture (performance, power consumption, thermal behavior), production (quality, failure analysis, manufacturing, cost) and development (schematic design, PCB layout and overall system integration)
- Perform data analysis and generate engineering documentation (design drawing, documents, test plans, procedures and reports)
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- 7+ years of hands-on hardware systems engineering experience
- Creativity, verbal and written communication skills, analytical and problem solving ability
- Strong knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles involved in shipping world-class consumer electronic products
- Expertise in hardware design for embedded applications including the following: SOC, microcontrollers, microprocessors (ARM), FPGA Processor peripheral interfaces (PCIe, USB, I2C, CAN, SPI, storage, high speed serial); High-speed signaling and camera electrical protocols (e.g., MIPI, LVDS, SDI); Power supply design and battery charging, Audio system design and integration
- Strong understanding of best practices for PCB/flex layout and construction
- Strong understanding of integrating wireless radios (LTE, WiFi, BLE, NFC, UWB)
- Ability and willingness to travel globally as necessary (when safe and permitted, up to 15%)
The San Francisco, California base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $175,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Total compensation will include bonus incentives and benefits. Kinship provides Full Time Employees (Associates) benefits which may include health insurance, retirement plan benefits, eligibility for Mars discounts, unlimited paid time off and access to other benefit programs. Eligibility for Kinship benefits is determined under the terms of the applicable Kinship Benefits plan at a person’s date of hire.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Opportunities to impact and grow the business on a day to day basis
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for Full-Time Employees and their families
- Unlimited paid time off for Full-Time Employees
- Hybrid work environment
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby) for Full-Time Employees (adhering to our policy)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet leaders across our divisions
Kinship is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Note to Search Firms/Agencies:
Kinship does not compensate search firms for unsolicited assistance unless they have a written search agreement with Kinship and the requisition is position-specific. Any resumes, curriculum vitae, and other unsolicited assistance from search firms that do not have a written search agreement or position-specific requisition submitted to any Associate of Kinship will be deemed the sole property of Kinship and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Kinship.