Senior Control/Software System Engineer
Do you love working in a high-energy environment where a need for standards and execution exists? Do you have a passion to drive change and implement complex solutions that impact an entire fulfillment network? Are you looking to make a difference, be empowered to own decisions, give expert advice, and strategize project deployments? If so, you are a great fit for Wayfair’s Controls/Software Engineering team!
We are seeking a very driven individual for Wayfair’s Controls/Software Engineering Team in the areas of PLC/WCS software design. The ideal candidate is an energetic team player with a proven background of advanced code writing in sortation systems, who understands how to effectively drive results. This candidate must also have an interest in innovating to solve business problems creatively and a willingness to immediately tackle key challenges. A willingness to travel and tackle the unknown is highly desirable.
This is a unique opportunity to build out Wayfair standards and work with multiple cross functional teams to have a standard (hardware and software) process within our automation platform and supply chain and logistics teams.
What You’ll Do:
- Create SCADA platforms using Ignition 8.X
- Write Advanced PLC Programming logic for live production in Wayfair systems(Allen Bradley, Siemens)
- Create and implement in Python code
- Create AOI PLC standards for Conveyor Sorters (sortation, merge code, etc. logic)
- Develop, Test, and Execute code for PLC communication sockets to WCS/WMS Software Interface
- Vendor VPN security access management
- Analyze and utilize SQL inquiries
- Thorough understanding and creating of version control software standards
- API/Integration testing and development (software C+, Java, Python, Allen Bradley, Siemens)
- Code development for text SMS messaging alarm code alerts
- Spec/Submit request for server builds
- Virtual Machine configurations
- Datastore with JSON, Kafka, and others****
- 3D simulation or game engine programming (eg. Emulate3D product)
- Remote support Live production systems in critical infrastructure for Fulfillment Centers
- Work with Senior Management
- Use and manipulate file types used to manage a design package. (e.g., JT, PDF, DXF, DWG)
- Flexibility to support multiple machine start-ups and changing demands across the network
- Understanding of common Barcode Symbology and assign definition filter rules
- Project cost justification and ROI analysis reporting
- Writes engineering instructions (EI)
- Provides support for machine and system installations
- Implement SW improvements, including new SCADA systems
- Introduce Engineering/Equipment Change Request (ECR) and Engineering Change Authorization (ECA) processes to the enterprise
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20-30% of the time
What You’ll Need:
- Experience of 10+ years with engineering/applications and design in the material handling field
- Desired 2+ yrs experience with modern programming language (such as Python, Java, C#, or others) is plus for future designs
- Strong technical background with Warehouse Management Systems and Control Systems are required to be successful in this role
- Demonstrated experience in Material Handling Automation equipment with emphasis on conveyance and sortation systems
- Ignition Perspective Experience of V8.X or higher
- Demonstrated advanced experience with PLC programming
- Experience programming Allen-Bradley (Siemens experience a plus)
- Demonstrated knowledge of power distribution, control hardware, and mechanical layout design (speeds, flow, rates, operation)
- Ethernet network design knowledge, configuration setups, and troubleshooting
- Proficient with SQL and/or other relational database query language
- Ability to read and understand technical and software documentation
- Troubleshoot various communications networks
- Capability to troubleshoot hardware systems, components, devices, etc.
- Design and implementation of VFDs and programming
- Understands safety requirements of machine design and functionality and ensures issues/questions are raised accordingly
- Detail oriented, with strong analytical and organizational skills, who is also highly results oriented and proactive
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills. Effectively communicating with business partners and senior management both local and remote
- Ability to identify critical path items and adjust priorities accordingly with supporting documentation (priorities may change weekly)
- Must be capable of learning other software packages
- Knowledge of CEMA Standards and guidelines
- Apply NFPA79 design guidelines
- Apply ISO 13849 Machine Safety
The salary range (or base pay for hourly positions) for this position is $134,550-$172,500 however, base pay offered may vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered.
Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities
Wayfair is fully committed to providing equal opportunities for all individuals, including individuals with disabilities. As part of this commitment, Wayfair will make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified individuals with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on business operations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
Need Technical Assistance?
If you are having any technical difficulty submitting your application, please reach out to our careers team at [email protected]
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic.
We are interested in retaining your data for a period of 12 months to consider you for suitable positions within Wayfair. Your personal data is processed in accordance with our Candidate Privacy Notice (which can found here: https://www.wayfair.com/careers/privacy). If you have any questions regarding our processing of your personal data, please contact us at [email protected] If you would rather not have us retain your data please contact us anytime at [email protected]