As a Staff Software Engineer - Quality, Service Operations Engineering, you will report to the Initiative Engineering Director. You will set the test direction and standards to promote the vision of service quality at Riot so that, "Gamers worldwide know that every experience they have with Riot will be a quality experience." You will solve unique problems that require an ability to evaluate, scope and work on solutions. You will direct individual contributors or even small teams on specific work projects. You will develop multiple quality initiatives within Service Operations Engineering.
You are accountable for managing the quality process for your teams and products. You are the main driver from the enginnering discipline to develop test strategies and designs, nurturing of quality culture, and building understanding and solid collaboration between engineering and other disciplines. You are guided by Riot’s Test Policy to develop quality activities for every stage of the software development life cycle. Additionally, you partner with your teams and craft leaders to arrive at more efficient solutions to everyday problems and improve delivery. You are recognized at Riot as a craft expert on multiple dimensions.
- Drive quality across all disciplines, providing guidance, feedback, and suggestions to improve quality practices across engineering organization.
- Work with Engineering Managers to mentor team members in quality and engineering craft.
- Contribute to technical leadership and strategic direction to continuously improve the product and service quality at the initiative level.
- Define and drive quality strategy and manage quality operations for the initiative. This includes but is not limited to automation, continuous integration, release testing and test case management.
- Partner with customer facing groups such as PMs, UX, SEs to better understand how customers interface and use our product to drive quality early and often in SDLC.
- Author and enhance test plans based on feature requirements and specifications, as well as technical discussions and deep dives with engineers.
- Build, enhance and maintain automation frameworks utilized by team to automate critical user scenarios for regression testing.
- Prioritize and execute test cases in an environment that’s representative of production environment.
- Partner with support and engineering to investigate, troubleshoot and identify/implement fixes for customer facing issues.
- Driving risk based testing and improving risk management processes.
- Managing external vendors and remote teams when needed.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in Software Engineering, Quality Engineering, specifically testing, frameworks and automation.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- High proficiency coding in Python, Java and/or C++.
- Strong understanding of CS fundamentals including OO concepts, data structures, algorithms, and microservices architectures.
- Experience with cloud technology including GCP, AWS and/or Azure.
- Proven experience developing comprehensive and effective test and performance tools, as well as frameworks.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of standard quality best practices, techniques and methodologies to drive continuous quality improvements.
- Experience delivering quality software in a large distributed system with emphasis on functional and performance automation, workloads and testing.
- Considerable experience with continuous integration / continuous deployment systems like Jenkins.
- Experience coaching Software Enginner or QA team members on test design, planning and execution.
For this role, you’ll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner’s Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $178,500 USD - $249,900 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Bellevue Only) Base salary range between $178,500 USD - $249,900 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(St. Louis Only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,100 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant’s criminal history.