You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics and viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations and life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care and public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
Helix + Transparency
At Helix, we value transparency. You will find the expected compensation, interview process, what to anticipate during onboarding, and your first 90 days listed in the job description for all Helix roles.
What is special about this role?
The utilization of genomics across life sciences from drug discovery to clinical development through commercialization continues to expand as new precision medicine therapies treating hereditary diseases continue to expand. Helix is on the forefront of innovation as our unique health system partnerships and proprietary clinico-genomic data assets open up new use cases never before imagined. As the Sr. Director, New Product Development you will be responsible for sourcing and identifying new use cases for Helix assets, leverage product design and experimentation methodologies to rapidly assess market fit and potential, attractiveness of value generated, and feasibility and scalability of productizing Helix capabilities for the potential use cases. To do this you’ll work collaboratively across a cross-functional team to rapidly research, innovate, test and advance product concepts and feasibility. In addition in some cases you may source and secure a biopharma partner deal to pilot the helix solution and secure learnings prior to Helix investing in a full product launch. As product concepts are successfully vetted, this role will work closely with Marketing and Business Development where the product concept will be launched into the market adding another offering to the Helix product offering menu.
The successful candidate is highly agile and creative, has strong scientific expertise on hereditary diseases and genetics and is unusually adept at understanding how biopharmaceutical organizations and functions work from drug discovery, clinical development, commercial development, medical, safety, epidemiology, HEOR, market access and marketing. You bring strong strategic thinking and are a natural complex problem solver, while also an aptitude to translate ideas into concrete operations that bring forward the desired value proposition. You develop strong, trusting relationships across functions and with existing Helix partners and customers, and demonstrate systems thinking to bring all functions and parties along the journey until a product concept is fully vetted. You have a proven record of product innovation, design, testing and productizing ideas.
The candidate is also a strong people manager with demonstrated ability to train and grow talent, and will be responsible for managing our junior resources which flex across the commercial organization.
If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy the strategic nature of identifying opportunities to apply emerging science, are comfortable delivering against metrics, have a deep passion for both the science and the customer experience, and love creating high-value products with deep impact on patients, this is the role for you.
As a Snr. Director, New Product Development you will:
- Lead Helix’s New Product Development efforts for biopharmaceutical use cases.
- Grow and nurture ideas to test, scale and launch thus growing our product portfolio
- Quickly identify key issues and creatively address them or rapidly deprioritize the idea
- Work collaboratively across Helix functions and Helix partners to bring new products to market
- Keep abreast of new trends among our life science customers - both scientific and therapeutic area trends, and new applications of genomic data to inform new product opportunities
- Source initial deals to serve as pilots to test a new product concept or idea.
- Develop deep familiarity and conversational fluency with Helix’s products and how they can be used to solve an array of use cases
- Maintain key learnings from product ideas deprioritized, and leverage insights to inform new ideas and opportunities
- Mission-oriented, with a deep passion for improving people’s lives through DNA
- Deep scientific expertise in human genomics and implications from a healthcare perspective
- 10+ years experience in product innovation and executing on identifying and assessing new product concepts for biopharmaceutical customers.
- Deep understanding of biopharma from discovery through commercialization, their needs and ability to put yourself in their shoes to create high value product offerings.
- Prior experience in drug discovery or clinical development in a life science company.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with senior executives with experience working with a broad range of personalities, become a strategic thought partner
- Strong business acumen to understand a partner’s business, org structure, budget process and identify and close new win-win opportunities.≠≠
- Established track record of product innovation, design, execution and launches
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to compellingly articulate Helix’s product offering to audiences with varying levels of technical skill and seniority
- Willingness to contribute in a variety of ways, even if outside formal responsibilities, combined with the ability to travel up to 30% of the time
- Technical MS required; PhD, or MD desired; MBA optional
Expected Pay For This Role:
There are 3 distinct parts to your Helix offer: 1) Base Salary 2) Annual Bonus 3) Equity
Expected Helix Base: $134,000 - $240,300
Expected Helix Discretionary Annual Bonus: 15% of your annual salary
Equity: We offer generous equity at Helix. If you receive a Helix offer your recruiter will book dedicated time with you to educate you on our equity model.
The salary range above is our reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role across US locations. Actual starting pay will be based on non-discriminatory job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about your specific work location salary range during the hiring process.
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Comprehensive Health Insurance with Date of Hire eligibility
- Above average employer paid premium coverage
- 12 weeks Helix Paid Parental Leave option
- 401(k) with employer matching of up to 4% and 100% Vesting on the Date of Hire
- Comprehensive Well-Being Benefits
- 18 well-being programs covering financial, legal and wellness solutions
- Flexible PTO
- Remote options for many roles and a home office stipend
What To Expect During Your Onboarding Week:
We want to make sure your first week is spent learning the foundations. You will be invited to live orientation sessions and spend time with your hiring manager developing your individual roadmap to success. This experience will include sessions that cover your benefits, security & privacy training, an introduction to the OKR framework used at Helix and our communication tools and norms.
What To Expect During Your First 90 days:
- First 30 days: you’ll spend time learning the Helix way, completing training and onboarding for your roles, and getting introduced to your team and relevant stakeholders. You’ll also gain a deeper understanding of our customers, our products, the impact we make in the lives of our communities, and how to thrive at Helix through participation in Helix U.
- Day 30 - 60: you’ll spend time contributing to projects, deeply familiarizing yourself with team and company processes, and developing a deeper understanding of Helix’s products, services and capabilities.
- Day 60 - 90: you’ll build your OKRs with your manager, start to take ownership of projects and initiatives on your team, and begin to demonstrate your impact on the Helix mission.
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.