We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique perspective and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Tripadvisor is looking for an experienced Senior or Principal Software Engineer to join our Find & Discover team.
This team builds foundational search, taxonomy, and other infrastructure related capabilities for the Tripadvisor website and app. These capabilities are expressed as both user facing features as well as core services consumed by other product and engineering teams. Our users are looking for guidance and advice across all parts of the travel planning and in-destination experience. Our team aims to answer the aspirational: "show me anywhere in the world, I just want a life-changing experience", to the task-oriented: "help me plan the best possible trip to Belize, I love diving!", to the here-and-now: "I’m going to Chicago for a wedding next week, what’s good this time of year?"
We spend our time obsessing over the hundreds of millions of unique monthly users of our products and how they can make the most of their time with us, so that they can find the right hotels, restaurants, experiences and more that will make for the best trip possible. Successful members of our team have a passion to positively impact our users, and actively seek out that opportunity from day one. Working in partnership with Product Management, Design, Machine Learning, and Platform Infrastructure teams, you will deliver solutions that scale to our community, that showcase our experience, and of which you can personally be proud.
We move quickly, we iterate constantly, and we’re not afraid of setting big goals for ourselves. We value inclusion, we celebrate diversity, and we encourage giving. We believe and show with everything we do that we’re better together.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
What you’ll do
- Code! Most of our engineer’s release code to production every few days and we have a daily release cycle.
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced by you and the team.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - we’re developing with Java, Elasticsearch, AWS, Kafka, databases and more.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA, and maintenance.
- Collaborate closely with Product as well as other functional teams to define feature specifications and develop high-quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world (US, Canada, UK, etc.)
- Mentor and lead more junior developers.
What we are looking for
- Background in developing scalable code for high-volume systems
- Prior background delivering product capabilities based on Elasticsearch or similar technology is a requirement.
- Experience with microservice architectures, Kafka, AWS, API design are a requirement.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- At least 5 years’ experience of commercial software development
- Experience in search algorithms including natural language processing and semantic search models in related domains is a plus.
- Ability to design and query relational databases, experience with special purpose data platforms is a plus.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and enthusiasm for solving difficult problems.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
What you’ll get
Highly competitive salary along with the following:
- Annual performance related bonus
- Generous stock (RSU) award upon joining, with additional awards annually
- Regular salary reviews and excellent career growth opportunities
- Very flexible working hours
- Summer flexible work schedule (including additional paid time off)
- Full family private healthcare, eyecare and dentalcare
- Excellent contributory Retirement Saving Plan
- Life Insurance and Disability Insurance
- Flexible Remote/Hybrid Work Arrangement Policy (opportunity to work flexibly from our new Ottawa office
- Standard 15 days paid holiday (not including bank holidays), increasing with tenure
- Time off between Boxing day and New Year’s day
- $1,597 CAD annual stipend for costs outside the office such as gym membership, travel or home office set up
- Educational Assistance - $5,000USD for approved degree programs offered by accredited institutions
- Leisure Travel Discount Program through IATAN membership
- Employees receive 15% off on qualifying tours and activities.
*This role gives the flexibility to work from home and/or the office.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at [email protected].