Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
Outrider’s Senior Functional Safety Engineer will report to the Director of System Safety and support the design, development, and implementation of reliable, performant, safety-critical systems for an autonomous vehicle operating in an outdoor, industrial environment.
We are seeking an experienced system safety/functional safety engineer to help build out a first-of-its-kind safety case for autonomous yard operations. You will be responsible for performing the necessary safety analyses to support the safety-critical functioning of a two-body, multi-ton autonomous ground-vehicle system prioritizing safe, error-free, effective operation. You will be responsible for ensuring the safety concept is well constructed, documented, and tested.
This role is ideal for a talented engineer who wants to be a part of an elite, impactful engineering team pushing confined-area, heavy-vehicle autonomy into the mainstream. We’re a team of builders that’s passionate about start-to-finish, production-oriented development and rapidly introducing our software to the real world of logistics.
System safety engineering is a pivotal function for delivering a low-risk system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on, functional safety engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining, enterprise-grade robotics product that combines autonomous vehicle technologies with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate embraces the idea of reducing the carbon footprint of our ’get-it-now’ economy and is invigorated by our overarching mission to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead interdisciplinary teams in the creation of safety-critical systems necessary to field a highly efficient, safe, and performant autonomous vehicle operating in an outdoor, industrial environment
- Work with subject matter experts to develop and document safety mechanism Concepts of Operation to fulfill safety goals for an autonomous vehicle
- Work with autonomy and perception teams to understand the co-dependencies between functional autonomy and safety at the system level
- Participate in the definition and implementation of system level autonomous behaviors in a variety of safety critical scenarios
- Promote Outrider’s safety culture internally and externally
- BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or other related technical disciplines
- Several years of experience developing safety-critical systems
- Experience leading an interdisciplinary team in the development and fielding of a robotic system or autonomous vehicle with safety-critical components
- Knowledge of (and experience using) safety standards in the development and fielding of complex autonomous systems (e.g., ISO 26262, IEC 61508, ISO 13849, ISO 25119, UL 4600, ANSI 15.08)
- Experience constructing a safety case for a complex autonomous system including safety-related artifacts such as Hazard Analyses (HARAs), FMEAs, or FTAs
- Ability to articulate technical issues and solutions to all levels of the business, within and beyond the engineering communities
- Background developing functional and SOTIF safety requirements and roadmap for an autonomous vehicle
- Experience leading a system safety team in the development and fielding of a robotic system with safety-critical components
- Experience with cybersecurity (especially for automated vehicles)
- Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering subject area such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
- Work with requirements tools such as DOORS, Polarion, R4J
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone’s opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.
To protect yourself against the increasing number of recruiting scams, please make sure that you are communicating with Outrider Technologies, Inc. or one of its employees. The only way to communicate with us is through our corporate website at www.outrider.ai, through corporate emails utilizing our domain name of @outrider.ai, and through our job board at jobs.lever.co/outrider. Be vigilant when checking domains because imitators often make very small changes to trick the eye. Additionally, please know that Outrider does not use text messaging or public messaging platforms, such as Telegram or Whatsapp, to communicate with candidates and Outrider will never ask an employment candidate for financial information or for payment of any kind.