The Engineering Intern will work within a specific area of Engineering that fits one’s area of study and experience. AeroVironment is an engineering innovator and that means we seek individuals with a broad background of technical skills and the desire to tackle real-world challenges. To qualify for an Engineering Internship, one must be a Junior or higher in one of our preferred majors; possess a desire to build things; have a strong engineering aptitude and thrive working in a team environment.
One will have real responsibilities that impact actual products and help pave the way on our development path. Whether one is part of a team designing a new unmanned aircraft to be used for planetary surveillance, or working to test and verify design modifications to flight hardware/software systems, or helping to resolve flight behavior issues on a miniature unmanned aerial vehicle, your AeroVironment internship will challenge you, stimulate you and provide you with real-world experience at one of America’s most innovative and creative tech companies.
- Use your hands-on knowledge and skills to participate in multiple phases of our Engineering/Manufacturing Design & Development process
- Will support engineering and design activities in your discipline using tools such as Windtunnels, 3-D Printers, Solidworks, Altium, Ansys, Visual Studio, and Matlab
- Other duties as assigned
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience)
- Currently enrolled Junior, Senior or Grad Student pursuing a degree in Aero/Mechanical/Electrical or Computer Science/Engineering
- Completed coursework relevant to major
- UAV or Robotics experience
- Hand-on experience with relevant tools
- Experience with software tools in your area of expertise
Other Qualifications & Desired Competencies
- Flight test or R/C experience a plus
- General engineering fundamentals, mathematics, physics, material properties
- Familiarity with structured development techniques
- Thrives on innovation and challenge
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
- Has effective problem-solving, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Focuses on teamwork, collaboration and puts the success of the team above one’s own interests
- Ability to work in an office and manufacturing environment (Constant)
- Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Constant)
The salary range for this role is:
$22 - $32
AeroVironment considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the location, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) or asylee/refugee status as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) required.