As Staff Software Engineer, you will work with Product Managers and Designers to be the technical lead for a variety of challenging projects. When you are not leading a project, you are a collaborative and effective software engineer and team member. You will interact with one of the most vibrant communities of security researchers and hackers in the world, and use this experience to build delightful features and products for them, as well as the thousands of companies who trust HackerOne with their cybersecurity.
As Staff Engineer, you will join the team working on Assessments, which includes an exciting new offering, H1 Pentest, that allows companies to leverage the vast pentesting experience of our hacker community. HackerOne was recently named as a leader in GigaOm’s ‘Penetration Testing as a Service (PTaaS) Radar’ report. To bolster this position, there will be plenty of challenging projects for the engineering squads working in this product area.
As Staff Engineer, you combine broad technological expertise, deep domain knowledge, and an unquestionable dedication to business objectives as you intersect with the engineering organization. You seek leadership responsibilities, identify and spearhead new initiatives, and make systematic improvements to technical weaknesses you find in your squad’s codebase, and in shared codebases across the company.
Your Journey at HackerOne
- Your first day will start with a warm welcome during our company onboarding day. Your laptop will have been shipped to you. After the onboarding day, you will be set up and ready to go!
- Your first 30 days will be focused on getting to know our HackerOnies. You will join your new squad and begin engineering onboarding - getting to know the technology stack (Ruby on Rails + GraphQL + Apollo + ReactJS + many more)
- Within 60 days, you will have committed a bunch of code to our repositories and will start developing a knack for being a fast and effective software engineer on our codebase.
- Within 90 days, you will have led your first engineering project and will start onboarding for the Tech Lead role. In this role, you will be the main point of contact for the Product Manager and Designer on your squad to provide input on technical viability of solutions that are under consideration.
- Beyond 90 days, you will be a fully fledged software engineer and ready to take on the Tech Lead role in the Assessments squad.
Who You Are
- You are at first a tech-savvy person who likes to work with people and teams
- You can help build a team and cultivate innovation, driving cross-functional collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams
- You have 8+ years of (open source) development experience within a SAAS environment
- You know how to make a strong impact at a company level
- You champion new initiatives around architectural improvements
- You are able to coordinate efforts around new initiatives with senior engineers, product managers, and you can act as a team lead in defining activities of others when needed
- You are an inspiring mentor who facilitates other engineers’ success
- HackerOne is a digital first company, and all employees must be able to work and excel in a remote environment.
Employment at HackerOne is contingent on a background check.
HackerOne is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, pregnancy, disability or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by international, federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all HackerOne employment practices, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. HackerOne makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
HackerOne commits to maintaining a strong, inclusive culture built for our employees and our community of hackers. We are driven by our five core values. We recognize that our mission is bigger than us, and therefore act with integrity at all times. As a team, we believe that transparency builds trust so we default to disclosure in our communications. Each individual executes with excellence, creating an environment of greater alignment and greater autonomy. We win as a team and respect all people to empower everyone to learn from each other, innovate, and grow.
What We Do
HackerOne closes the security gap between what organizations own and what they can protect. HackerOne’s Attack Resistance Management blends the security expertise of ethical hackers with asset discovery, continuous assessment, and process enhancement to find and close gaps in the ever-evolving digital attack surface. This approach enables organizations to transform their business while staying ahead of threats. Customers include Citrix, Coinbase, Costa Coffee, General Motors, GitHub, Goldman Sachs, Google, Hyatt, Microsoft, PayPal, Singapore’s Ministry of Defense, Slack, the U.S. Department of Defense, and Yahoo. In 2021, HackerOne was named as a ‘brand that matters’ by Fast Company.
HackerOne is Digital First
Our work is optimized for asynchronous collaboration, knowledge management, and decision-making. HackerOne is creating an industry, and to do that, we must employ the most creative, forward-thinking distributed talent in the market. Our remote model allows employees to contribute to our mission while providing time and location flexibility which are core elements to a healthy relationship between professional and personal pursuits.