Software Engineer (Backend) - Internal Tools
Posted on 4/30/2021
Toronto, ON, Canada
Data Structures & Algorithms
Ruby on Rails
- Strong background with 2 or more years of work experience. Proven ability in designing APIs
- Strong SQL skills and the ability to analyze large and complex datasets
- Experience with a number of Ruby, Go, Spark, Scala, Python
- Interest in building high-impact tools and successful products
- Experience shipping clean, maintainable code that works
- Background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
- Building well-designed, fast API endpoints for new features in our mobile apps (in Ruby and Go)
- Implementation of an in-house anomaly-detection service to automatically & intelligently detect anomalous performance & behavior pertaining to tracked historical metrics
- Rethinking our organizations approach & tooling around exception tracking, fixing and awareness
- Modernizing our tool suite - with newer & better maintained open-source alternatives, or more performant technologies & implementations
- Designing & implementing new pieces to our content-processing pipelines & content-streaming services
Scribd's mission is to change the way the world reads.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - A robust Diversity, Equity and Inclusion program that includes company-wide training, equitable hiring best practices, Employee Resource Groups, and company-wide goals.
- Scribd flex - We embrace flexibility as a key principle and will allow employees, in partnership with their manager, to choose the workstyle that best suits their individual needs and preferences.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability - We offer comprehensive healthcare plans and cover premiums for employees at 100%. PPO, HMO, and High Deductible Health Plans are available so you can choose whichever coverage supports your lifestyle best.
- Matching 401(k) - Easily save for retirement with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of up to 3% company match with no waiting period.
- Paid Time Off - A generous paid time off program that includes vacation time, personal days, sabbaticals, volunteer time, winter break, sick time, and more.
- Paid parental leave - We provide paid time away from work for our new biological, adoptive, or foster parents.
- Wellbeing - Resources, workshops & events to support your wellbeing journey: Mind, Body & Soul.
- Curated Career Paths and Continuous Learning - The power to explore career paths & possibilities, and the tools to support your growth. From continuing education, degrees, or certifications, we support our employee’s career journeys.
Company Core Values
- We are characters with character. People: We value people above everything else. We invest in our employees and believe that diverse stories, ideas, and talents are what make us great.
- We embrace plot twists. Taking action and learning: We are problem-solvers that act with urgency. We use both data and intuition to tackle tough challenges and balance priorities, we grow through our mistakes, and often learn by doing.
- We are writing our story together. Ownership and accountability: We are all owners. We hold ourselves and each other accountable, engage in open dialogue, and we push one another to do our best work every day.
- We are crafting a timeless tale. Sustainability: We are dedicated to our mission. We are strategic and take deliberate steps to build a sustainable business that will stand the test of time.
- We are dedicated to helping readers flourish. Community: We care deeply about our customers. Our community is the soul of the product and we work hard to understand and meet their needs.
- We are inspired by reading. Love of reading: We believe in the importance of reading and use our product to make it a meaningful part of our lives.