Cepton (Nasdaq: CPTN), a leading intelligent lidar solution provider, is seeking a seasoned Principal Mechanical Engineer who is passionate about solving challenges to join us. Partnering closely with our brilliant functional R&D teams, you will work in a dynamic, cross-functional, collaborative work environment and design and mechanical subsystems and overall packaging for LiDAR product development. as well as support new product introduction to high volume manufacturing process for automotive and non-automotive customers.
Here at Cepton, we use technology to make some difficult problems become easy and some impossible tasks become feasible. We value one’s ability to learn higher than the knowledge one has acquired in the past. We like people who strive to solve a problem in new and creative ways instead of only seeking conventional wisdom, we enjoy solving hard problems together. As we are at the cutting edge of technological advancement, join us if you are willing to work with like-minded people to face the challenges posed by the new era of technology together.
What You Will Do:
- Responsible for the Mechanical infrastructure, detailed design, solid model, and drawings for mechanical subsystems and product packaging.
- Responsible for the comprehensive and in-depth FEA analysis for strain, vibrational modes, thermal and modal analysis.
- Responsible for using Mechanical and optical system tolerancing analysis to meet the required precision down to sub-10-micron level.
- Assemble, qualify, debug and tune the mechanical module and subsystem.
- Develop mechanical tooling, jig, and fixtures to assist Mfg alignment and assembling. Establish mechanical subsystem build and qualification process, and release reliable process to Mfg.
- Partner with manufacturers and suppliers to support volume production ramp and quality control.
Who You Are:
- A master’s/Ph.D degree in related disciplines with 10 years of working experience.
- Strong expertise in FEA theory and analysis. Has solid knowledge of material characteristics and properties. At least 5+ years’ work experience with FEA analysis tools in the development of advanced mechanical systems. Ansys or other equivalent FEA simulation tool experience and skillset is required.
- Experience with vibration analysis and mitigation techniques is highly preferred.
- Experience with heat dissipation & management of thermal risk in the mechanical system is highly preferred.
- Experience with vibration and audible sound mitigation & methods to reduce audible noise (acoustics) is highly preferred.
- At least 8+ years’ working experience with CAD packages, preferably SolidWorks. Has seasoned experiences with GD&T and creating tolerance stack-ups.
- Good knowledge and experience w/ typical surface finishing, coating, anodization, and plating.
- Good experience working with machine shops, vendors, and design houses for new product prototyping as well as ramping up volume production.
- Hands-on experience with machining & familiar with working in a machine shop. Strong hands-on skillset with assembling, testing and troubleshooting mechanical systems, including that w/high precision and micro-structures.
- Familiar with developing tests for improving designs utilizing accelerometers and metrology tool is preferred.
- The programming ability is a big plus (e.g., Python, Matlab, C, C++, or comparable programming language preferred).
- Has a strong problem-solving ability, able to provide technical leadership as needed.
- A good and reliable team player with strong communication skills. Self-motivated, continually striving for excellence, and can thrive under pressure.
What We Will Offer:
- Opportunities to work with strong industry leaders and opportunities to relocate to Silicon Vallely.
- Competitive compensation package, including stock.
- Comprehensive employee benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and more.
- Paid Times Off and paid holidays
- Bonus Program eligibility.
- 401k & Flexible Spending Account.
- Cepton Headquarters – San Jose, CA
- Some local on-site visits to key customers.
- Travel to regional customer sites and to support trade shows & conferences if needed.
Cepton is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices:
The pay range for this role is $170,000 to $220,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor. The total compensation package for this position may also include an annual performance bonus, stock, benefits and/or other applicable incentive compensation plans.
Cepton Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Cepton (Nasdaq: CPTN) is a Silicon Valley innovator of lidar-based solutions for automotive (ADAS/AV), smart cities, smart spaces, and smart industrial applications. With its patented Micro Motion Technology (MMT®), Cepton aims to take lidar mainstream and achieve its vision of safe and autonomous transportation for everyone.
Founded in 2016 and led by industry veterans with decades of collective experience across a wide range of advanced lidar and imaging technologies, Cepton is focused on the mass-market commercialization of high-performance, high-quality lidar solutions. Cepton is headquartered in San Jose, CA, and has a center of excellence facility in Troy, MI to provide local support to the OEM and Tier 1-studded Metro Detroit area.