Helaina is a VC-backed biotech startup creating a new category of functional food products.
Our vision is to bring the functional properties of human proteins to food. Helaina will be the first company to put human milk proteins into food, defining a new category of consumer nutrition products focused on supporting immunity. We will initially launch a first-of-its-kind infant formula – the only infant formula with immune-nourishing proteins found in human milk. We also see a range of opportunities to use our breast milk proteins to enhance other types of functional foods for all segments of the population.
Helaina is backed by top VCs in the industry including Spark Capital, Siam Capital, Primary Venture Partners, and Plum Alley. We are a team of change-makers looking for our next team member who is intensely passionate about advancing synthetic biology for food and beverage products and redefining the future of nutrition.
About the Team:
Helaina’s bioprocess team focuses on scaling our precision fermentation process to produce key ingredients for our final product. We are a collaborative team driven by our passion for science and innovation.
About the Job:
In this role, you will work in our NYC lab to assist and perform experiments on the bioprocess team. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, motivated self starter that enjoys working and troubleshooting equipment with a strong sense of initiative and attention to detail. You will help maintain and operate various bioreactors in the lab. You will be responsible for contributing directly to Helaina’s company milestones by supporting our fermentation development and scale up optimization for the bioprocess team. .
What You’ll Do:
- General operations such as bioreactor building/sterilization, cleanup and turnover of bioreactors to maintain a set run schedule with supervision
- Prepare, assemble, clean and sterilize glassware and fermentation tanks
- Prepare media, reagents and materials
- Assisting in support tasks and projects as required to keep the lab organized and operating efficiently
- Offline sample analysis including: Optical Densities, cell density, viability, and sterility checks
- Work independently and efficiently
- Document work clearly and perform procedures accurately
- Follow SOP protocols, operational processes, and safety best practices
- Identify technical issues, troubleshooting, solve problems and achieve clear resolution
- Maintain clean work areas and equipment
- Perform Preventative Maintenance schedules with supervision as needed
- Work will include periodic weekend hours
- You have an Associates Degree or higher, preferably in science.
- You have experience handling equipment and instrumentation.
- You have some industrial experience.
- You are able to record data, compile, analyze and communicate results.
- You can manage and prioritize multiple projects within a fast-paced environment.
- You have exceptional attention to detail and passion for problem-solving.
- You are able to work a flexible schedule, as required, to meet development and maintenance scheduling needs.
- You have excellent organizational and communication skills.
Compensation is market-competitive with an hourly rate of $20 - $22 per hour.
Helaina was founded on the belief that families should have freedom of choice. We are committed to providing an inclusive workplace that does just that, supporting our team’s health, wellbeing and professional development at every stage and milestone. We are proud to offer comprehensive health care, generous parental leave and childcare reimbursement, equity packages and more to our Full-Time employees. A few highlights include:
- Full medical, vision and dental coverage
- Short and long term disability insurance coverage
- 401k match (up to 3%)
- Unlimited vacation days, including an all-company holiday between Christmas and New Year
- Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program
- Childcare reimbursement program
- Commuter Benefits
- Leadership Development coaching through BetterUp
Helaina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Helaina we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the strongest candidate for this or other roles. For more information, please contact [email protected].
Learn more about Helaina: https://www.myhelaina.com/press