Distinguished Engineer, Core Platform Infrastructure
Posted on 4/5/2022
Seattle, WA, USA • Washington, USA • San Francisco, CA, USA • Austin, TX...
- Required: Strong knowledge of how cloud infrastructure is constructed, deployed, and used across the industry
- Required: Experience leading diverse teams across multiple locations
- Required: Strong software development experience, especially in a microservice / cloud-native environment
- Preferred: Best practices and state of the art for delivering software to Cloud environments (multi-cloud and hybrid experience a plus)
- Preferred: Experience leading large scale change (of mindsets, technologies, or tooling) in codebases and organizations
- Preferred: Experience operating a large scale system in live production environments
- Preferred: Knowledge of industry standard cloud infrastructure components: Kubernetes, Istio, Pulsar, Kafka, Vault, etc
- Preferred: microservices based development
- Preferred: Web protocols and distributed systems
- Helping people grow their skills and abilities to meet their career goals
- Building psychologically safe environments, where learning is encouraged and failure is not punished
- Clear and direct communication
- Constant learning
- Experience technically leading teams of 50-100+ engineers
- Experience working within sophisticated projects with stakeholders across an organization, building trust, and communicating such that there are few surprises
- Experience diving deep technically into both on-premise and cloud software
- Conducting architectural reviews of designs affecting any part of the Core Platform and other peer teams. The goal of these reviews is to simultaneously hold a high architectural bar while also providing a safe environment for critique and learning
- Partnering with Product leads to match strategic product vision with engineering reality
- Crafting architectural designs with the clarity for the organization to see the destination, but with enough space for other engineers to help build the details
- Partnering with engineering and technical leaders to ensure efficient execution of the teams
- One-to-one coaching and mentoring of engineers within and without your teams
- Growing and establishing a senior technical leadership team across the organization
- Deeply working with and understanding the Splunk architecture, both on-prem and in the Cloud
- Deep understanding of the development experience for line engineers through to how the code is run in production
- Understanding the business context in which we operate, and the current strengths and limitations of our system within that context
- Building and implementing a strategic technical plan for the future of the Core Platform Infrastructure technology area, that aligns with and supports the wider company objectives and simultaneously reducing technical debt and growing velocity of customer-facing features and changes
- Partnering with Product and Engineering Leads to ensure the product, organization, and technology base is complementary and competitive in the market
- Mentoring and guiding other engineers through one-to-one coaching, architectural reviews, tech talks, and book clubs
- Working with people in all job descriptions, from engineering, to product, to support, to UX, to QA, to the field to ensure that customer needs are met to the best of our abilities, and where they're not met we design systems to help meet those needs
- Full time software development; senior role in operating a live production service or environment is a plus
Data management & visualization platform
Splunk's mission is to address the challenges and opportunities of managing massive streams of machine-generated big data. Splunk is the leading software platform for machine data that enables customers to gain real-time Operational Intelligence.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance plans for regular, full-time U.S. employees — choose the best plans for you and your family. Plus: Health Savings Account (HSA), Life insurance and survivor benefits, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Business travel and accident insurance, Voluntary Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity
- Eligible employees enjoy: 401(k) Plan with a company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), Equity awards, Bonus or commission program
- We support you and your family: Paid parental leave, Mother rooms and wellness rooms, Family Planning
- Your work/life balance is important to us, that's why we offer: 16 company holidays, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 10 bereavement days, 5 volunteer days
- Ensuring our employees' success goes beyond insurance plans: Education reimbursement, Electric car charging stations, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Stocked kitchens, Gym discounts/onsite fitness centers, Pet insurance discount, Student loan resources, Cool workspace with collaborative environments, 529 College Savings Plan
- Innovative: We’re passionate about our customer success. We keep our energy laser-focused on giving our customers the best possible and most trustworthy experience, driven ultimately by integrity. After all, we’d be nothing without them.
- Open: We never stop learning or striving to create a positive impact. The work we do matters. We innovate at warp speed to disrupt the world's notion of what’s possible.
- Disruptive: We are humble and value openness and honesty. We speak our truths mindfully and in consideration of others. Candor is cool - respect is required.
- Fun: We embrace the ride (preferably in a Splunk t-shirt). We take our work seriously, but not ourselves. We weave an irreverent and infectious sense of fun into everything we do.
- Passionate: We cultivate an inclusive environment where all backgrounds are celebrated. Striving for equity and embracing our individual uniqueness is our secret sauce. And it will only make us stronger.
- #WeAreSplunk: We represent many functions and regions but are one team. We value each other's efforts and moonshot ideas. And we celebrate highs, and learn from lows, together. We trust and rely on each other. Remember: There’s no “I” in Splunk.