West Menlo Park, California
6 month growth↑ 0%
1 year growth↑ 3%
2 year growth↓ -21%
- Strong understanding of Networking and Microservice Architecture
- Experience with writing highly concurrent systems and load balancing techniques
- Proven ability to design large scale, distributed systems
- Expertise in reliability, scalability, and correctness
- History of creating and applying new processes and tooling to increase engineering efficiency
- Create and drive the technical strategy, standards, and roadmap
- Design large scale, distributed systems within the team
- Identify and drive optimizations and improvements to the infrastructure and systems
- Contribute as a hands-on contributor for critical projects on the roadmap
- Mentor and up-level the team
- Contribute to open source projects
- Passion in mentoring junior engineers and improving the engineering craftsmanship
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious, growth minded thinkers to help shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future. If you’re invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world — we’d love to have you apply.
About the team + role
Robinhood’s products are powered by a multitude of powerful microservices working in unison. In order for these microservices to work, they need to be able to locate and communicate with each other. As the Service Discovery and Communication team, we build and deploy the fundamental systems that enable this real-time, inter-service communication all while being highly-scaleable, robust and reliable!
The team builds with Go and Python as the main language and frameworks of choice with C++ being a bonus as we construct our Global Edge. We also use Envoy for load balancing and global routing, Unbound and CoreDNS as our DNS, and gRPC for inter-service communication. We also heavily utilize Kubernetes, AWS, service discovery and service mesh type systems.
We are looking for a Senior Staff Software Engineer - Tech Lead to help build and lead from a very technical lens. This engineer will have true ownership, continuing to innovate to delight our users. You will act as a technical leader, systems architect, mentor, problem solver, coder and liaison to other engineering/product groups.
The role is located in the office location(s) listed on this job description which will align with our in-office working environment. Please connect with your recruiter for more information regarding our in-office philosophy and expectations.
What you’ll do
- Create and drive the technical strategy, standards, and roadmap.
- Design large scale, distributed systems within the team, making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Proactively identify and drive optimizations and improvements to the infrastructure and systems.
- Be a hands-on contributor for critical projects on the roadmap.
- Mentor and up-level the team.
- Contribute to open source projects.
What you bring
- Proven understanding of Networking and Microservice Architecture and a familiarity with writing highly concurrent systems with load balancing techniques.
- Have a strong technical grasp, excellent judgment on task prioritizations and expertise with a focus on reliability, scalability, and correctness.
- You are able to tackle sophisticated engineering problems that deliver results which help the team to achieve its objectives.
- You have a history of creating and applying new processes and tooling to increase engineering efficiency.
- Passion in mentoring junior engineers and improving the engineering craftsmanship!
What we offer
- Market competitive and pay equity-focused compensation structure
- 100% paid health insurance for employees with 90% coverage for dependents
- Annual lifestyle wallet for personal wellness, learning and development, and more!
- Lifetime maximum benefit for family forming and fertility benefits
- Dedicated mental health support for employees and eligible dependents
- Generous time away including company holidays, paid time off, sick time, parental leave, and more!
- Lively office environment with catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, and geo-specific commuter benefits
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.