Rigetti Computing is building the world’s most powerful computers to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. We believe this technology will fundamentally change the world for the better and will affect nearly every industry over the coming decades.
At Rigetti, research in quantum algorithms and applications is key in demonstrating quantum advantage. For this role you will develop quantum combinatorial optimisation algorithms for a government funded program, targeting applications of interest to our customer. This project entails exploring and understanding theoretical literature. Your keen understanding of quantum algorithms and error mitigation methods will help you turn state-of-the-art research into executable programs that enhance the performance of our current-generation quantum processing units.
Expertise in physics or quantum information science is a requirement for this position. Additional background in software development for quantum computing systems, including the Rigetti Forest SDK and quantum combinatorial optimisation algorithms will be assessed favorably.
As engineering leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who build it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities and other under-represented groups are strongly encouraged.
This is a fixed-term contract role with an end date of April 2024.
- You hold an advanced degree in physics, mathematics, or engineering with a strong focus in quantum information science, or equivalent.
- You can synthesise research findings into resilient, performant software written in Python 3, following established software development practices.
- You are an outcome-driven problem solver, eager to learn from experts in quantum computing and error mitigation, and ready to adapt to new challenges.
- You communicate clearly with our researchers and program managers, and are familiar with the demands of performing industrial research under government programs.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments, making sure our customers are happy, and our developments are robust, well-documented, and properly tested.
Bonus Points if You Have
- Familiarity with Python numeric toolkits such as numpy, jax, networkx, xarray, cvxpy.
- Experience with quantum specific libraries e.g. pyQuil, Qiskit and Pennylane.
- Experience performing experimental work on NISQ era quantum computers.
- Experience in combinatorial optimisation techniques.
The Difference You Will Make
- You will be a member of a small international team responsible for undertaking work in the field of quantum combinatorial optimisation algorithms and their implementation on NISQ devices, in collaboration with our customer.
- You will work with our software engineers to transfer successful research into production software, where it can be used to inform current and future system performance and support the needs of customers more broadly.
Why You Should Join
- Opportunity to think creatively, uncover, tailor and advance the state of the art in quantum computing research towards quantum advantage.
- Connectivity to world-class researchers in adjacent and complementary areas of research, and participation in customer research programs.
- Opportunity to come up with unique solutions for technical challenges that very few researchers have encountered before.
- Ability to leverage cutting edge scientific research in your day to day work and build systems that enable and inspire further ground-breaking research.
Visit our website athttps://www.rigetti.com/ to read the latest in quantum thinking from our algorithms and applications team.
Rigetti Computing is a pioneer in full-stack quantum computing. The company has operated quantum computers over the cloud since 2017 and serves global enterprise, government, and research clients through its Rigetti Quantum Cloud Services platform. The company’s proprietary quantum-classical infrastructure provides ultra-low latency integration with public and private clouds for high-performance practical quantum computing. Rigetti has developed the industry’s first multi-chip quantum processor for scalable quantum computing systems. The company designs and manufactures its chips in-house at Fab-1, the industry’s first dedicated and integrated quantum device manufacturing facility. Rigetti was founded in 2013 by Chad Rigetti and today employs more than 180 people with offices in the United States, U.K., and Australia. Learn more at www.rigetti.com
Don’t see the job you want? Apply here
so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.