Technical Writer / Senior Technical Writer
Posted on 8/17/2022
Development Operations (DevOps)
- Experience working with a docs-as-code workflow (we use Git with GitLab)
- Experience researching, planning, writing, and editing software documentation
- Excellent skills in grammar, minimalist documentation design, and effective information architecture
- Experience using the Linux shell and command-line Git
- General familiarity with one or more coding languages
- Excitement about our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency
- Ability to thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture
- Experience with some of the following:
- DevOps tools and open-source software
- A rapidly scaling start-up environment
- Remote work, especially in collaboration with others across countries and time zones
- Continuously improve the GitLab open source documentation in collaboration with engineers, product managers, and others
- Review and edit documentation for all new and enhanced features
- Help developers and other members of the community who have documentation-related questions
- Identify and address content gaps or the need for additional media such as diagrams or videos
- Participate in reviews and revamps of section or page content and structure
- Help review and triage incoming suggestions, corrections, and other content from the GitLab community
- Help create and review UI text, such as field labels and error messages, in our product
- Continuously improve the GitLab documentation site user experience in collaboration with UX, engineers, and other technical writers. These efforts might include the documentation site's design, search, build process, feedback methods, SEO, visitor analytics, versioning, and other technical components
- Contribute to the improvement of team process and style
- Extensive experience working with a docs-as-code workflow
- Extensive experience as a technical writer
- Experience producing documentation for a variety of products and services
- Some experience planning and leading major initiatives, such as the launch of new documentation resources, large-scale documentation reviews and revamps, and cross-functional initiatives
- Experience establishing style guidelines and familiarity with documentation linting
- Curiosity about how software works and experience testing beta features
- Demonstrated use of data in evidenced-based decision making
Repository hosting manager tool
It is GitLab's mission to make it so that everyone can contribute. When everyone can contribute, users become contributors and greatly increases the rate of innovation.
- Spending Company Money
- Equity Compensation
- Life Insurance
- Financial Wellness
- Paid Time Off
- Growth and Development Benefit
- GitLab Contribute
- Business Travel Accident Policy
- Employee Assistance Program
- Part-time contracts
- Meal Train
- Fertility & Family Planning
- Parental Leave
- Collaboration: To achieve results, team members must work together effectively.
- Results: We do what we promised to each other, customers, users, and investors.
- Efficiency: Working efficiently on the right things enables us to make fast progress, which makes our work more fulfilling.
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging.
- Iteration: We do the smallest thing possible and get it out as quickly as possible.
- Transparency: Be open about as many things as possible.