We’re Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
You will play a key role in designing, building and implementing technical solutions that improve Cruise’s overall security posture and solve complex security problems. You must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, agile environment – which means wearing many hats, being able to change direction quickly, and showing an eagerness to learn and introduce new technologies as the need arises.
In this highly technical role, you’ll lead a small team of security engineers focused on owning and operating a mission critical, production public-key infrastructure and related tooling. The focus of the team is to provide easily consumable services to secure, share, and tightly control access around sensitive information through cryptography. In addition to leading this small team, you will also be a direct technical contributor: writing architectural documents, articulating design decisions and systems to key stakeholders and senior leadership, as well as writing code and seeing large-scale projects through from start to finish. To be successful in this role, you’ll need to be able to delegate and work together with your team (and others) to achieve results: after-all, you can’t be both a manager and an engineer full-time.
What you’ll be doing:
Leading a small team of engineers (3-4) solving challenges in the PKI & Secrets space for Cruise
Building and operating foundational PKI and secrets management systems
Leading architecture and major design decisions that will affect access to secrets and internal webs of trust
Maintaining and building interdisciplinary skills through research, experimentation, and exploration
Consulting with leadership on foundational security architecture decisions that will affect Cruise for years to come
Developing processes, policies, systems, software, and controls to maintain and operate Cruise’s internal PKI and Secrets management systems, (e.g., Vault)
Working with engineers and management across organizational boundaries to provide a robust and observable public-key infrastructure
Driving security initiatives across multiple teams and business organizations
What you must have:
Team Leadership experience, preferably in Security Engineering
Experience running a mission critical, production public-key infrastructure
Experience with applied cryptography
Exceptional coding abilities, architecture, debugging, and performance/diagnostics measurement skills
Experience with at least one of: Azure, AWS, or GCP
Passion for self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
Contributions to the community (open source, public research, blogging, presentations, etc.)
Experience working with modern development and deployment workflows (containerization, orchestration of, etc.)
Experience building and operating a service mesh, (e.g., Istio)
Experience with SPIFFE, SPIRE, or Open Policy Agent (OPA) in a production environment
The salary range for this position is $203,600 - 299,200. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, caste, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected].
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Candidates applying for roles that operate and remotely operate the AV: Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active in-state regular driver’s license or equivalent, and no more than one point on driving record. A successful completion of a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check is also required.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.