Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The trucking team’s mission is to make Trucking efficient, reliable, and transparent for our operators, carriers, and clients.
We are the team that builds and supports Flexport’s Transmission platform. Transmission is a transportation management system built for Trucking carriers that helps them execute load requests sent from Flexport. Carriers use Transmission to plan their drivers’ days, log milestones for loads (e.g. when did cargo depart), communicate with Flexport operations, and monitor driver performance. In addition, we are leveraging 3rd party data sources such as the truck’s GPS devices and ports to create a great experience for our customers. The Trucking engineering team is responsible for building software that helps our operations team plan our trucking capacity, execute the shipments within the promised transit times, and manage invoices for carriers as well.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager for the Trucking team in Bellevue where you will work closely with our business partners to drive our goals and strategy around Trucking Execution. This team is responsible for maintaining our Transmisison platform (Web and Mobile) as well as Trucking compliance initiatives identified by our legal team. The team is also responsible for measuring trucking carrier performance, which is communicated to carriers via scorecards so they know how well they’re performing against our expectations.
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful, strategic approaches.
- Manage and coach a team of talented engineers and help develop their careers.
- Work closely with product and business stakeholders to drive strategy for Trucking planning and procurement.
- Work with engineering leaders across Flexport to help build scalable programs that standardize information flow and increase operational capacity.
- Set a standard of technical excellence on the team and drive impact.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times a day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 8+ years of technical experience building scalable systems.
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing, and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data
- Bias for constantly learning new technologies and driving a culture of excellence across the organization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to weigh trade-offs.
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action. You ship quality code quickly and decisively.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network-isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range displayed, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and / or training.
The US base salary range for this full-time position: (exclusive of bonus, equity and benefits.)