Descript is on a mission to make audio and video content creation and editing fast, easy, and accessible to all. We are building a cutting-edge media editor incorporating real time collaboration, ground-breaking UX, and cutting-edge AI. This is the future of media!
At Descript, we believe that software engineers should own the reliability and performance of what they ship to production, so as a Production Engineer, you will drive projects that let engineers better understand and improve the performance, availability, and quality of what they ship. In addition, you will be owning and improving the core production infrastructure and building blocks upon which other engineers depend. We are looking for people who have good systems fundamentals, a desire to teach and advise colleagues, and the ability to make strategic decisions. As one of the early members of Production Engineering, you will be shaping what reliability looks like at Descript as we grow. If you love the idea of working closely with engineering leadership to build a product that users love, this may be the role for you!
At Descript, you will:
- Develop technical and business solutions that enable engineers to improve the quality and reliability of product features and systems that they build.
- Drive improvements to the reliability of our core infrastructure, such as production clusters, networking, databases, and observability systems.
- Champion best practices during reviews of code, technical designs, and launch plans.
- Own our incident management and fire drill processes.
- Work with engineering leadership to set goals and prioritize production reliability.
- 5+ years experience in production/site-reliability engineering OR 5+ years of server-side software engineering with an interest in working on core infrastructure
- A solid understanding of at least two of: public cloud infrastructure, Linux systems administration, and DevOps tooling.
- Basic coding skills to work on automation and technical guardrails.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with other functions
- Experience mentoring engineers, including code reviews, architecture discussions, and leadership skills
The base salary range for this role is $160,000- $230,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 100 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world’s greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that’s in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we’re interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.