The Data Integration Team is responsible for ensuring data from school districts are loaded and maintained with a high level of fidelity into the Ellevation platform. This team plans and executes the solutions to integrate customer data into our SaaS educational platform, and designs solutions to simplify processes, save time and maximize the use of Ellevation by educators around the country. As a Data Integration Engineer, you will work directly with customers (data teams and administrators) and internal teams to support districts in the extraction of data, own the data transformation and import process, and ensure ongoing data fidelity within Ellevation’s platform.
This role is fast paced and will require one to take ownership, balance, and prioritize multiple projects at once. This role requires a combination of technical skills, organization, a service orientation, and the ability to communicate technical issues to non-technical partners. Just as important, we are looking for someone who is a self starter and motivated to continuously learn. This role requires one to be an excellent teammate who is willing to collaborate and provide input. Feedback is ingrained in our culture and feeling comfortable giving and receiving feedback is an integral part of the process to advance yours and Ellevation’s growth and sustainability.
- Writing and committing easy to read, reproducible code
- Importing student, staff, schedule, and test files
- Automating set up processes
- Meeting Service Level Agreements for imports and troubleshooting tasks requested by partners
- Prioritizing multiple projects at once
- Designing solutions to automate and/or simplify integration processes
Within 1 month, you will:
- Gain familiarity and knowledge of Ellevation, its team structure, and product/services
- Know our mission, values, and product offering
- Know teams and high-level responsibilities of each
- Learn about our platform and have familiarity with our product offerings
- Setup and Familiarize yourself with our internal tools and communication norms (Slack, GSuite, Jira, Wiki)
- Attend PSO team overviews and shadow partner calls to further understand who the Data Integration Team (DIT) collaborates with on a daily basis and how we provide service to our partners
- Set up a development environment on your computer to execute all Data Integration Engineer (DI Eng) tasks (python, SQL, git)
- Start to become familiar with addressing DIT data processing and imports (Student, Schedule, Staff, ELP test, Grade file evaluations and uploads & Review and practice Python code development)
Within 3 months, you will:
- Develop familiarity with our data model
- Be able to navigate our DB and locate key tables relevant to DI Eng tasks
- Develop proficiency in importing various data types, including standardized tests
- Take on automated tasks
- Learn how to commit code
- Learn automation setup process
- Familiarize with and begin contributing to DI Eng projects
- Start to take on responsibility for Enterprise partner(s)
- Take on more technical DI Eng project work
Within 6 months, you will:
- Work independently
- Troubleshoot data issues independently
- Maintain SLA on your assigned work
Within 12 months, you will:
- Continue to develop your technical skills
- Maintain a high level of data fidelity for partners
- Collaborate on new projects and initiatives
- Work to improve our processes and code libraries
- Automate manual tasks
- 1-3 years experience working with many heterogeneous datasets and formats from a variety of vendors, providers and platforms.
- Understanding complex data and translating issues into non-technical terms.
- You have a knack for problem solving complex data discrepancies.
- Demonstrated success and effectiveness working in and promoting a rapidly changing, collaborative, and time-critical work environment.
- Attention to detail and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Customer service orientation, and an understanding of the importance of meeting customer needs and maintaining strong customer satisfaction.
- Able to translate customer requests into technical solutions.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and the mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others.
- Collaborates well with others, and not afraid to ask for help when needed
- Self Starter/Learner - Comfortable with ambiguity
- Proficiency with Python (Pandas Library or other scripting languages such as R)
- Basic understanding of Coding/Programming Logic
- Experience with Microsoft Office Excel or Google Sheets
- Familiarity with SQL and RDBMS concepts (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Experience implementing prevention and detection controls to ensure data integrity
- Statistics/data-study based experience
- Working with, extending and defining data interchange standards and best practices
- Experience with SFTP, FTPS and other file transfer protocols
- Bonus: SIS/K-12 student data/Ed-Fi experience
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help educators serve the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). Ellevation helps school districts transform their Multilingual Learner programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations. Our product suite includes a best-in-class data and instructional planning platform, resources to build teacher capacity, and student-facing programs to teach academic language.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company partnering with over 1,200 school districts and more than 3 million current and former English Learners. Over the next five years, we plan to double the number of ELs we serve and drive measurable outcomes for students. Ellevation merged with Curriculum Associates in 2021 to accelerate impact for Multilingual Learners. Our company continues to operate independently and is well-capitalized to support our ambitious social and financial objectives.
In addition to our great benefits and competitive salaries, here are some things that make us unique:
+ Mission-driven organization where team members are empowered to make a significant impact
+ Opportunities to join DEIB-focused groups and support building a culture of belonging
+ Professional development and growth opportunities
+ Company and team offsites in various cities across the United States
+ Collaborative workspace in the heart of Boston - a stone’s throw from many central T stops (Downtown Crossing, Government Center, and Aquarium). Free snacks, beverages, and local organic fruit provided
+ Remote and in-person engagement opportunities, including happy hours, themed events, and competitions
+ Remote and in-person wellness programming to support team’s mental and physical wellbeing
Here at Ellevation, we champion diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging. We strive to build a team that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values a range of ideas and opinions.
We believe in building a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. We are proud to have been recognized in prior years as “Best Tech Workplace for Diversity” by the Timmy Awards for investing in training around inclusive behaviors, microaggressions, unconscious bias, and fostering a culture of continuous learning and feedback across the company. We are encouraged by our progress, but there’s more work to be done.
Benefits – Benefits eligible employees (and qualifying dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees can enroll in our company’s 401(k) retirement plan and receive an employer match up to 7%. Employees have access to flexible paid time off for vacations, sick and disability policy, additional 10 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays and a winter office closure between Christmas and New Year’s. In addition, we provide a generous parental leave benefit, back-up childcare or eldercare, and a variety of other perks to support the health and well-being of our employees.
Additional Information: Ellevation operates under Curriculum Associates, LLC, an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify
Information that you provide when applying for employment with Curriculum Associates, LLC may be subject to the California Privacy Rights Act. Click here
for more information about our data-collection practices and your rights related to that data.