Senior Operations Engineer
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Raleigh, NC, USA • Durham, NC, USA
- 5 - 8+ years of related experience with a BS/BA or higher degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Life Sciences or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, coach, and mentor junior level engineers
- Excellent communication skills to work as a leader and provide internal customer support
- Excellent time management skills to support a fast paced working environment
- Excellent troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills in both hardware and software
- Strong experience with writing and implementing test protocols and procedures
- Strong industrial electrical and mechanical knowledge
- Knowledge of IT networking and systems infrastructure
- Experience working in a clinical laboratory regulated environment
- Experience executing within a computerized maintenance/calibration management system
- Knowledge Safety Training, lock out tag out (LOTO), Hazardous material, and waste handling
- Strong experience in technical troubleshooting and maintenance in both hardware and software components in regards to liquid handling equipment.(e.g., Agilent, Hamilton, Labcyte, Illumina etc.)Hands-on experience supporting equipment in a high throughput clinical laboratory operation
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), Manufacturing Management Systems(MES), scheduling software, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
- Knowledge of molecular biology to best support equipment activities in an next generation sequencing (NGS) workflow
- Project management skills
- Experience working with Green Button Go (GBG).Experience working with Illumina NGS technology platforms
- Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, climb stairs/ladders, kneel, crouch, or wear safety gear
- Must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Travel up to 10% of the time
- Build and manage a team of engineers with the diverse scientific and technical skills required to support, troubleshoot and improve complex automation systems in a regulated environment
- Establish a world class support team to address issues in a timely manner and maximize the system up time for 24x7 operations
- Provide guidance and priorities to implement process optimization to improve efficiency, throughput and robustness
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, delegate and empower team members
- Oversee service contracts and CAPEX spends for operations group
- Work closely with Quality and regulatory to implement and follow the required policies and procedures for system qualification, maintenance
- Work closely with Operations team and finance on planning equipment and resource needs for scale up to meet capacity requirements
- Work together with R&D and software for successful technology transfer and further workflow improvements
- Support engineering and automation needs of operations group
- Stay abreast of technological advances that can be implemented to drive process improvement, throughput, and cost
- Lead area work responsibilities, effectively triage opportunities, direct work based on team skill set, and coach and guide junior level staff
- Lead and perform live troubleshooting, recovery, debugging, repairs, and maintain equipment and systems in good working order to support the area and operators' day to day following cGMP/GLP and Quality Management System (QMS) guidelines
- Lead root cause investigations, drive for resolutions, and follow those up with corrective and preventative actions for software and hardware opportunities
- Be the technical lead by knowing software, processes, and hardware fundamentals
- Make time sensitive technical decisions
- Manage spare parts inventory for area of responsibility
- Manage, source, and coordinate vendors to support qualifications, installations, calibrations, investigations, upgrades, preventive maintenance (PM), and/or repairs as needed
- Create, update, and execute procedures, work instructions, guidelines, and testing documents such as installation / operational / performance qualification (IOPQ), site acceptance test (SAT), verifications, standard operating procedures (SOP)
- Execute and document all equipment lifecycle related activities (installations, maintenance, calibration, qualifications, repairs, etc) by supporting and maintaining equipment records in and out of our Asset Management System for traceability purposes and to assure compliance with CLIA/CAP, FDA 21 CFR part 820, and ISO 13485 requirements
- Provide technical training, support in the creation of new training, and transfer knowledge to fellow engineers and laboratory operators
- Respond to environmental monitoring system alert notifications for cold storages and laboratory temperature/humidity sensors for area of responsibility
- Participate, be a role model, and adhere to GRAIL's policies and guidelines
- Recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment as part of the continuous improvement process
- Support the improvement of GRAIL's groundbreaking, fully automated, high throughput laboratory equipment and systems and provide expertise with solving all things automation and liquid handling (Hamilton, Agilent, Bravos, Beckman Echo, Illumina) in order to optimize multiple processes associated with our NGS cancer diagnostics workflows
- Support the investigations and act as a subject matter expert in NCRs, CAPAs, and associated quality and technical investigations
Designs cancer screening tests
GRAIL's mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. They are working to change the trajectory of cancer mortality and bring stakeholders together to adopt innovative, safe, and effective technologies that can transform cancer care.
- Outstanding People - Join a team of passionate and dedicated professionals, committed to collaboration, education, and proactive problem-solving.
- Strong Compensation - We offer competitive salaries and savings plans to provide for long-term financial planning.
- Complete Health Coverage - Take advantage of comprehensive health coverage, with medical, dental and vision, to keep you and your family healthy.
- Work-Life Balance - Make everyday life more manageable with flexible time off – we trust you to do great work and take time for yourself.
Company Core Values
- Grit - We are determined and resilient because patients are counting on us.
- Respect - We value diversity and challenge each other respectfully.
- Accountability - We own our decisions and keep our commitments.
- Integrity - We adhere to our principles of humility, transparency, and rigor.
- Leadership - We make each other better by making leadership everyone’s responsibility