Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
Reporting directly to the VP of Global Corporate Communications and serving as an integral member of the communications team, the Head of Internal Communications and Engagement will be responsible for leading and executing all corporate internal communications as well as support talent acquisition and people operations external communications initiatives at Axon. This role will establish best practices and strategic planning for consistent internal communications, as well as creative ways to engage colleagues across the organization in Axon’s mission, vision and values. This individual will own the voice, in partnership with our executives to our employees and work closely with our external corporate communications colleagues to pull through our story to our employees and encourage ways they can help us elevate our voice. This individual will also work closely with our marketing and sales organizations to ensure ongoing engagement with our executives. A critical piece to this role is ensuring employees have the right corporate information, guidance and resources to effectively deliver their daily task and roles, while feeling informed and passionate about the work Axon is doing.
The ideal candidate will bring deep experience across communications disciplines, with a focus on strategic internal communications, change management experience and engagement efforts. This individual should be energized to help build and evolve plans to support the growing needs of the communications function within Axon and bring a strategic “thinker and doer” attitude to roll up their sleeves and deliver compelling and creative communications campaigns to our employees with a close collaboration to our external communications colleagues. If you thrive in a fast-paced setting and think on your toes and get passion from building out capabilities and functions in a growing organization, this role is for you!
What You’ll Do
Reports To: VP of Global Corporate Communications
- Lead and execute an overall integrated internal communications foundational framework identifying appropriate ways of working across the organization.
- Develop new and improve existing tools (e.g., town halls, Slack channels, intranet, newsletters) to support employee experience and awareness of key business initiatives and company purpose and values.
- Create an internal engagement strategy to build greater connection across our employee base and foster greater passion and excitement for our business progress, mission and connection to our executives.
- Work seamlessly with the corporate communications team to leverage external communications moments to appropriately inform colleagues of news and generate excitement on any key pieces that show progress from our organizational strategy.
- Identify and execute field/sales communication best practices practices; Establish themselves as a subject matter area expert in internal communications, providing counsel to executives and partnership with our sales and marketing organizations to support greater engagement and connection to information for our field based employees.
- Ensure diversity in thought and voice across our executives to our employee base, identifying appropriate voice and support in drafting content and establishing forums for executives to have greater connections to employee base.
- Bridge divides and celebrate differences across employee experiences, locations, tenures and levels
- Support our talent acquisition and people operations teams in communications needs, including external communications initiatives and owned content to pull through recruitment campaigns, thought leadership and other key imperatives of the function to both our employees and in collaboration with our corporate communications teams, the public.
- Ensure alignment of internal and external messaging and work across the communications organization to support the team with core messaging and counsel and review of implementation.
- Routinely measure success for raising the profile and awareness of the Axon suite of products in alignment with broader brand strategies and the vision and goals of communications plans.
What You Bring
- More than seven years experience in strategic communications, either in-house or agency experience working directly on internal communications and engagement for business to service level industries. Blended experience of agency/client-side and/or in-house in a high-growth company preferred. Experience with technology products and/or public safety experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in managing comprehensive, strategic internal communications and engagement. Experience in using new and innovative tools and resources for greater employee connection to the business
- An high-level understanding of our focus market and an understanding of Axon’s key audiences for product related communications. A keen ability to foster an informed public by working objectively to ensure communications are impactful and focused toward stakeholders who will benefit from a broader awareness of Axon products vs. the general public
- Team player, with a strategic thinker/doer attitude and a passion for delivering creative and impactful communications initiatives
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to establish credibility and build collegial relationships with all levels of staff. A polished communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- Identify practical and timely solutions to complex challenges, has a deep understanding of how to navigate and influence diplomatically to show value of campaigns and programs
- Demonstrated track record of handling complex issues, change management and diverse executive backgrounds to drive quick solutions with poise. The ability to quickly mobilize key stakeholders to make quick decisions and support the business on any potential product issues.
- Strong writing skills a must, must be familiar with press release writing, AP style format and can leverage a press mindset when building materials.
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work.
The Pay: Axon is a total compensation company, meaning compensation is made up of base pay, bonus, and stock awards. The starting base pay for this role is between USD 120,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 220,000 in the highest geographic market. The on target earnings range for this role is between USD 160,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 300,000 in the highest geographic market. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: level, function, training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, geographic market, and often a combination of all these factors. Our benefits offer an array of options to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. To see more details on our benefits offerings please visit www.axon.com/careers/benefits (http://www.axon.com/careers/benefits).
Don’t meet every single requirement? That’s ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
Axon’s mission is to Protect Life and is committed to the well-being and safety of its employees as well as Axon’s impact on the environment. All Axon employees must be aware of and committed to the appropriate environmental, health, and safety regulations, policies, and procedures. Axon employees are empowered to report safety concerns as they arise and activities potentially impacting the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email [email protected]. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.