Staff Software Engineer
Machine Learning, Homefeed & Notifications
Posted on 2/3/2023
San Francisco, CA, USA • Remote
Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other quantitative fields
- 7+ years of software development experience, or 5+ years with an advanced degree
- Strong cross-functional capabilities
- Strong product sense, maintain a high degree of empathy for your internal and external users and seek feedback from them about your work
- First Principles mindset and approach. Comfortable with the uncomfortable and able to be excited about working collaboratively to figure out solutions to complex problems, and then implementing them
- You have helped define the architecture, tooling, and strategy for large-scale machine learning systems and tools
- You have shipped large-scale recommendation/ search / adsML systems; and you've worked with distributed systems deployed at scale
- You have a deep understanding of seminal approaches to retrieval and ranking; and you keep up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us evolve
- Care deeply about results and constraints and keep them in mind as they solve hard, unbounded problems; Work with product, data science, policy and UXR to create an ML driven product strategy
- Collaborate with leadership and senior engineers across the team to define the technical vision and build on the technical roadmap for ML systems
- Design and build large scale low latency machine learning systems for retrieval, ranking and personalization
- Build generalizable infrastructure for retrieval, ranking and NLP, especially using MLOps stacks like TFX
- Work with Engineering Managers and other Staff Engineers to make decisions for Discord and engineering function as a whole
- Mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Discord
Gaming communication platform
Discord's mission is to build an easy-to-use communication service that gives people a place to talk, build relationships, and belong.
- Stay healthy - We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans.
- Parental perks - Spend some quality time with the next generation with parental leave, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits.
- Kick back - Stay refreshed with over 19 paid holidays, use-what-you-need sick days, and four weeks of PTO.
- Commute easy - In a non-COVID world, get up to $270 per month for your commuting and parking needs.
- The loadout - When we’re back in the office, enjoy daily catered lunches and snacks, a desk fund to make your space yours, and whatever you need for your computer setup, including a headphone allowance.
- Wellness on us - Take advantage of a quarterly wellness allowance for your gym membership or other wellness activities. Virtual yoga every week!
- Transgender benefits - Discord will reimburse up to $20,000 for any procedure related to transition.
- Discord HQ - Our office is located in Potrero Hill, a little neighborhood in San Francisco near awesome coffee and food.
- Relocation - Excellent relocation bonuses for new hires moving to San Francisco (once it’s safe to return).
Company Core Values
- Upside Down Leadership
- Small & Mighty Teams
- Unleash Talent
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint