StepStone is a rapidly growing Global Private Markets firm who provides customized investment and advisory solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With $570 billion of total capital allocations, including $134 billion in AUM, we are highly diversified in the private markets across the globe and provide creative solutions to solve for the objectives of any investment program. With a culture built on entrepreneurialism, partnership and being a team within teams, our firm offers joiners the opportunity to think out loud, collaboratively.
StepStone is currently seeking candidates with excellent quantitative, qualitative and interpersonal skills for an Analyst position on StepStone’s Real Estate Advisory Team. The Analyst’s primary role is to engage in sector-focused research on various areas of the real estate private equity industry such as opportunistic, value-add, core and credit. The Analyst will work in a team environment with other Research team members to target and perform due diligence on selected real estate private equity fund managers; analyze PPMs, financial statements and investment returns; and conduct reference calls and personal interviews. In addition, the Analyst will work with the co-investment and secondary teams to source, diligence and execute transactions. The Analyst will have the opportunity to present recommendations, with the investment team, to the Real Estate Investment Committee.
StepStone prides itself on the Firm’s collegial atmosphere, encouraging team-building initiatives and a collaborative approach to accomplishing projects. The Analyst will have exposure to all levels of the Firm, from Partners to fellow Analysts, daily. The Analyst will often have opportunities to interact with many of the top fund managers in the real estate private equity industry.
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree and backgrounds in real estate, private equity, investment banking, consulting or other relevant industries. The Analyst will adhere to the highest ethical standards, as well as demonstrate maturity, reliability and attentiveness to detail.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform market research using publicly available information and proprietary databases to identify, quantify and analyze macroeconomic trends across a variety of industry sectors
- Interpret financial analyses prepared by target fund managers, including investment track records, financial statement analysis and fund models
- Support senior Advisory staff on sourcing and managing the inflow of investment opportunities
- Assess marketing and supporting materials of prospective fund managers to identify key value drivers and important areas for further investigation
- Conduct phone interviews with senior executives to gather insights and information regarding the style and effectiveness of target fund managers
- Form an independent opinion about the attractiveness of a sector or investment opportunity
- Efficiently communicate a position verbally and in written materials, including defending a position in a team environment such as Investment Committee meetings
- Use creativity to source and analyze data and to test hypotheses regarding attractiveness of specific sectors and investment opportunities
- Prepare for and participate in meetings with managers and conduct on-going due diligence
- Perform financial modeling and sensitivity analyses related to co-investment and secondary opportunities
- Draft investment memorandums and presentations related to fund, co-investment and secondary diligences
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- BA/BS in in Real Estate, Private Equity, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Law or equivalent relevant experience
- Demonstrated track record of academic and professional success
- Prior internships or work experience in private equity real estate, investment banking, consulting or other relevant experience
- Availability to travel, primarily domestically
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Flexibility to work within StepStone’s dynamic and entrepreneurial organization
- Developing investment judgment and general understanding of risk/reward trade-offs
- Ability to represent the Firm credibly in written and interpersonal communications
- Demonstrable analytical capabilities, including strong quantitative/modeling skills
- High proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Applied experience in valuation and investment analysis
- Enrollment in CFA program a plus
- Promote and demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude
Working out of 24 offices in 15 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, StepStone does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
Developing People at StepStone