Who We Are
Nuro exists to better everyday life through robotics. The company’s custom electric autonomous vehicles are designed to bring the things you need—from produce to prescriptions—right to your home. Nuro’s autonomous, goods-focused solution can give you valuable time back and more freedom to do what you love. This convenient, eco-friendly alternative to driving has the potential to make streets safer and cities more livable.
About the Role
Machine Learning is at the heart of Nuro’s self-driving technology. The Ground Truth team develops dataset management tools that enable ML teams to improve their model performance through larger and better datasets. Our suite of tools cover all parts of the development lifecycle, including data mining, data labeling, and system validation.
We are responsible for:
- Mining the most interesting examples from the vast sensor data and metadata generated every day by Nuro’s vehicles
- Developing manual and ML-assisted labeling workflows to annotate those examples with excellent quality and low cost
- Validating the annotations with both automated and manual checks
- Exposing APIs to enable rich queries and experimentation on the resulting datasets
This forms a virtuous cycle that enables Nuro’s robots to learn from their on-road experiences, and allows engineers to quantify system performance.
About the Work
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll build business-critical tools that accelerate the development of Nuro’s autonomous driving technology.
- Develop tools to search through large amounts of image and other sensor data to uncover the most interesting training examples.
- Develop applications that empower operation specialists to visualize and annotate large volumes of lidar/camera data with superhuman speed and accuracy.
- Develop annotation processing pipelines that manage petabytes of data with excellent performance and fault tolerance.
- Collaborate with operations teams (both in-house and outsourced) to understand operation specialists’ needs and deliver easy-to-use products.
- Collaborate with ML engineers from mapping, perception, prediction, and planning teams to understand the onboard system architecture and how training data fits in.
- You have 3+ years of software development experience in a language such C, C++ or Rust
- You collaborate effectively with colleagues from a wide range of disciplines and backgrounds. You feel comfortable navigating situations with many stakeholders and requirements to consider.
- You’redeeply technical with a scrappy mindset. You can jump into any system, quickly understand what’s going on, and make changes to keep projects moving.
- You bring up those around you through mentorship and feedback. You’re always looking for ways to improve the speed and quality of our team’s work.
- Past experience developing internal tools for autonomous driving, robotics, data annotation, crowdsourcing, content moderation, or trust & safety.
At Nuro, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. For this position, the reasonably expected pay range is between $167,200 and $250,800/year for the level at which this job has been scoped. Your base pay will depend on several factors, including your experience, qualifications, education, location, and skills. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply. This position is also eligible for an annual performance bonus, equity, and a competitive benefits package.
At Nuro, we celebrate differences and are committed to a diverse workplace that fosters inclusion and psychological safety for all employees. Nuro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and expressly prohibits any form of workplace discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by your hire date to be eligible to start the role. Proof of vaccination will be required by your start date. Nuro will consider and review accommodation requests based on medical, religious, or other grounds as required by applicable law for qualified candidates.