Cepton (Nasdaq: CPTN), a leading intelligent lidar solution provider, is seeking a seasoned Senior Optical Design Engineer who is passionate about solving new challenges to join us. The candidate will work in a dynamic R&D environment and participate in designing and validating the optical imaging system for our high-performance 3D Lidar product. They will also support the new product introduction to the volume manufacturing processes to support automotive and non-automotive customers.
Here at Cepton, we use technology to make some difficult problems become easy and some impossible tasks become feasible. We value one’s ability to learn higher than the knowledge one has acquired in the past. We like people who strive to solve a problem in new and creative ways instead of seeking conventional wisdom, we enjoy solving hard problems together. As we are at the cutting edge of technological advancement, join us if you are willing to work with like-minded people to face the challenges posed by the new era of technology together.
What You Will Do:
- Design and validate the optical imaging system for our product. Support new product introduction to the high-volume manufacturing process to support automotive and non-automotive customers.
- Develop and drive LiDAR optical system architecture, concept & detailed design, prototyping, and performance entitlement validation per the requirements from our clients and the marketing trends.
- Utilize optical simulation and design CAD software to create the concept and assess feasibility. Optimize and finalize the design in terms of (but not limited to) photon collection efficiency, field of view, beam quality/resolution/MTF, distortion, aberrations, blooming, stray light scattering, mechanical tolerancing sensitivity, thermal stability, manufacturability, etc.
- Drive design completion regarding both optics and optomechanical fit & precision, prototype procurement, assembling, troubleshooting, and verification on performance vs. design.
- Develop and implement test methods for optical system quality w/ laser source.
- Cooperate with optics outsource vendors and overseas manufacturing partners, optimize products and processes, as well as drive quality control to enable volume production.
- Work with other functional engineers to complete projects in a fast-paced R&D and NPI environment.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Optical Engineering or related disciplines with at least 8 years of working experience. OR A master’s/Ph.D. degree in Optical Engineering or related disciplines with at least 5 years of working experience.
- Has a deep understanding of optical physics and proven experience with optical imaging systems. Has good hands-on skillset in optical system alignment, characterization, and validation.
- Has extensive experience with novel optical system development, materials including glass and plastic, and processes including diamond turning, injection molding, and micro-machining for integrated optics.
- Has Good design experience with lens system tolerancing and marginality using both glass and plastic optical materials.
- Has intimate knowledge and use of Optical CAD, including Zemax (strongly preferred), Code-V/LightTools, etc. Able to model sequential and non-sequential systems.
- Proficient with data processing tools, including but not limited to Python, Cython, C/C++, Matlab, etc.
- Familiar with optomechanical principles and reading/interpreting optomechanical drawings. Familiar with the typical optical material property and lens manufacturing process. Has a good mixture of capabilities in design/modeling/simulation and hands-on experience.
- A good and reliable team player. Highly self-motivated, can continually strive for excellence, and can thrive under pressure.
What We Will Offer:
- Opportunities to work with strong industry leaders and opportunities to relocate to Silicon Valley.
- The competitive compensation package, including stock.
- Comprehensive employee benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and more.
- Paid Times Off and paid holidays.
- Bonus program eligibility.
- 401k & Flexible Spending Account.
- Cepton Headquarters – San Jose, CA.
- Some local on-site visits to key customers.
- Travel to regional customer sites and to support trade shows & conferences as needed.
Cepton is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The pay range for this role is $130,000 to $200,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor. The total compensation package for this position may also include annual performance bonus, stock, benefits and/or other applicable incentive compensation plans.
Cepton Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Cepton (Nasdaq: CPTN) is a Silicon Valley innovator of lidar-based solutions for automotive (ADAS/AV), smart cities, smart spaces, and smart industrial applications. With its patented Micro Motion Technology (MMT®), Cepton aims to take lidar mainstream and achieve its vision of safe and autonomous transportation for everyone.
Founded in 2016 and led by industry veterans with decades of collective experience across a wide range of advanced lidar and imaging technologies, Cepton is focused on the mass-market commercialization of high-performance, high-quality lidar solutions. Cepton is headquartered in San Jose, CA, and has a center of excellence facility in Troy, MI to provide local support to the OEM and Tier 1-studded Metro Detroit area.