Senior Product Counsel (Consumer)
Posted on 3/29/2022
San Francisco, CA, USA
- Work closely with Product, Design, Engineering, Business Development and Operations teams to provide counseling, education, and guidance on legal compliance for new and existing features and services for consumers
- Lead initiatives to expand consumer access to Instacart's offerings and build and protect trust in Instacart's platform
- Work cross-functionally within the legal team, including litigation, privacy, compliance, intellectual property, and employment
- Provide sound, practical advice and guidance on legal and business-related issues
- Identify opportunities to streamline legal advice and build efficient and scalable processes to provide high quality support to a broad range of clients
- Understand and stay up to date on applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards related to marketplaces with the ability to distill complex issues into concise legal requirements
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for and minimize risks that may arise in the future
- Bonus Points: Experience working with platform businesses and balancing competing interests in a multi-sided marketplace
- A J.D. and membership in the California Bar in good standing, or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- A minimum of 8 years working as a lawyer
- At least 2 years of related experience working in an in-house legal department, particularly in product counseling (or the ability to explain how prior counseling experience translates directly to in-house product counseling)
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high priority, competing priorities and include appropriate stakeholders when necessary
- Familiarity with legal issues affecting antitrust and the Internet and e-commerce (such as consumer protection, privacy, SaaS, advertising, and commercial contracts)
- Innate curiosity, desire and ability to learn rapidly
- Resiliency and comfort serving as a trusted business partner
- Experience and understanding of technology development, the gig economy, and/or the retail industry
- Quick adopter of new and evolving technology
- A team player with a sense of humor and self-awareness
Grocery delivery app
Instacart's mission is to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. The company operates a mobile app for the delivery and pick-up of groceries and household items.
- Go far together
- Grow the pie
- Roll up your sleeves
- Put it all on the table
- Serve generously
- Wellness Tailored to You - Medical, dental, vision, retirement, life & disability coverage right alongside physical & mental wellness programs, memberships and stipends to keep you and your family feeling your best.
- Family Building Benefits - No matter where you are in your family journey, we support you. Our plans cover modern family planning for all. We offer leave for all parents, flexible working schedules and an active [email protected] community.
- Work From Home Stipend - We help outfit your WFH setup and offer reimbursements so you can be your most productive while at home.
- Flexible Time Off - We all recharge differently. Take the time you need with our flexible time off policy.
- Learning & Development - Whether you’re just starting your career or leading teams, we provide customized L&D programs to help you grow and an annual allowance to pursue your development.
- Future Planning - We have you covered as you plan for your future. 401(k) matching in the U.S. and RRSP in Canada, student loan assistance through Peanut Butter, free Rocket Lawyer membership, SoFi & First Republic financial planning and more.
- Community Connection - Support the communities you care about with volunteer weeks and get involved with our social impact program, Instacart Serves.
- Instacart Express Membership - We help keep your fridge stocked. Unlock grocery discounts with our Instacart Beta app while testing our latest features.