Advancing the World’s Technology Together
Our technology solutions power the tools you use every day--including smartphones, electric vehicles, hyperscale data centers, IoT devices, and so much more. Here, you’ll have an opportunity to be part of a global leader whose innovative designs are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and powering the future.
We believe that innovation and growth are driven by an inclusive culture and a diverse workforce. We’re dedicated to empowering people to be their true selves. Together, we’re building a better tomorrow for our employees, customers, partners, and communities.
Senior Engineer, Research; Computational Materials Discovery
What You’ll Do
The Advanced Materials Lab (AML) in Cambridge, MA is part of Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. headquartered in San Jose, CA. AML is engaged in materials design and discovery for a broad range of next-generation technologies in batteries and semiconductors. The work is conducted internally with academic collaborators and industrial partners. As a part of Samsung’s advanced research effort, AML works closely with counterparts at Samsung laboratories in Korea. We are looking for strong candidates with demonstrated excellence in their fields.
Looking for a Senior Research Engineer interested in applying computational materials science and artificial intelligence (AI) to discover new materials for next-gen battery semiconductors-conductors. The candidate should have a strong materials science and electrochemistry background and experience developing and utilizing machine learning for atomic-scale materials modeling to maximize research velocity.
Location: Cambridge, MA (Hybrid Three days on-site)
- Develop machine learning interatomic potentials for accelerated sampling with first-principle accuracy
- Develop automated and autonomous data pipelines workflows for the discovery of novel materials
- Collaborate with other computational and experimental researchers in an interdisciplinary group
- Contribute to Samsung AML’s mission of next-generation materials development
- Disseminate findings in top-tier publications and conferences
- Collaborate closely with our research partners in academia in the United States and our research headquarters in South Korea
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s with 5+ years or Masters with 3+ years or Ph.D. with 1-5 years in Materials Science, Physics, or Chemistry with a focus on inorganic materials or related fields preferred.
- Strong theoretical and analytical research background with expertise in modern atomistic computational and modeling methods such as density functional theory or molecular dynamics
- Highly experienced programmer and software development skills (Python preferably)
- Experience with machine-learning algorithms for materials data analytics with large data sets
- Research experience in developing and utilizing multi-scale, multi-physics computational models to characterize inorganic materials is a big plus
- Effective communication skills and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and collaborative environment.
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The pay range for roles at this level across all US locations and job function is displayed below. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well
Base Pay Range
What We Offer
An investment in your future, is an investment in ours. That’s why we offer a diverse benefits package centered around the wellbeing of our employees and their loved ones. In addition to competitive compensation and the usual Medical/Dental/Vision/401k, our inclusive curation of benefits empower our people to care for their whole selves.
Give Back With a charitable giving match and frequent opportunities to get involved, we take an active role in supporting the community.
Enjoy Time Away You’ll start with 4+ weeks of paid time off a year, plus holidays and sick leave, to rest and recharge.
Care for Family Whatever family means to you, we want to support you along the way—including a stipend for fertility care or adoption, medical travel support, and an errand service.
Prioritize Emotional Wellness With on-demand apps and paid therapy sessions, you’ll have support no matter where you are.
Stay Fit Eating well and being active are important parts of a healthy life. Our onsite Café and gym, plus virtual classes, make it easier.
Embrace Flexibility Benefits are best when you have the space to use them. That’s why we facilitate a flexible environment so you can find the right balance for you.
To help keep our employees, customers, and communities safe, we’ve developed guidelines for our teams. Currently, we encourage vaccination for all employees, and may require it depending on job functions (e.g., traveling for business, meeting with customers). While visiting our offices or attending team events, we ask employees to complete a daily health questionnaire and complete a weekly COVID test. Our COVID policies are subject to change depending on public health, regulatory and business circumstances.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Samsung Semiconductor is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcomed and empowered to do their best work. We hire the best talent for our teams, regardless of race, religion, color, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, or veteran status. Our focus is on hiring teammates with humble expertise, kindness, dedication and a willingness to embrace challenges and learn together every day.