Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company - by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
We are looking for a qualified Senior Staff Accountant to join our US Finance team! In this role you will be working closely with the business to assist with day-to-day finance management and identifying any commercial risks or opportunities to improve the business’ position.
What you’ll do
- Monthly management reporting; this includes the preparing and reviewing balance sheet reconciliations, preparing accruals, etc.
- Analyze monthly results for senior management and be able to explain any unexpected results.
- Assist with the preparation of consolidated reporting for Group and external party submissions to tight deadlines.
- Assisting department heads with day to day finance management of the business.
- Ensuring that reporting is compliant with all relevant accounting standards and keeping up to date with new reporting standards that may impact the company.
- Reviewing finance processes in each entity to ensure that improvements are made continuously to help the businesses run more efficiently.
- Preparation of year end financial statements.
- Managing creditor and debtor ledgers and dealing with any questions regarding payments or receipts.
- Accounts Payable.
- Preparation and filing of tax reporting.
What you’ll need
- 6+ years of professional experience in accounting roles.
- Extensive experience in electricity or commodity industry.
- Hands on experience with accounting matters (e.g. revenue recognition and financial closing).
- A track record of simplification and standardization.
- An understanding of accounting excellence and how accounting adds value.
- Successful at training and coaching team members and leading change.
- Previous experience coordinating across corporate functions
- Maintaining an honest and ethical tone-from-the-top.
- Desire to advance cheaper and greener electricity.
- The ability to come into the downtown Houston office a few days a week (this is a hybrid role).
Nice to have’s
- US GAAP to IFRS translation experience
- History of working with decentralized organizations
- Understanding of accounting requirements for software businesses
- Transfer tax and inter company loan experience
Why else you’ll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Unlimited paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! When on a call with one of our recruiters it’s something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don’t advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn’t apply to Octopus - what’s more important to us is finding the right octofit!
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.