Build the platform that powers global trade
We are looking for an experienced and driven Staff Data Scientist to join our team. As a Staff Data Scientist, you will be working on challenging and high-impact initiatives including how our customers’ shipments are defined, planned and routed to deliver competitive and reliable delivery promises. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with a passion for technology and a track record of leading successful product launches.
A successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, strong attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. As a Staff Data Scientist, you will own the design and development of end-to-end systems. You’ll have the opportunity to create technical roadmaps, and drive production level projects that will support the Ocean Consolidation Services team. You will work closely with Flexport scientists to develop solutions and deploy them into production. The ideal scientist must have the ability to work with diverse groups of people and cross-functional teams to solve complex business problems.
At our company, we value diversity and inclusion, and we believe that a diverse team leads to better products and outcomes. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply for this Staff Data Scientist role and contribute their unique perspectives and experiences to our team.
- Use a range of data science methodologies to conduct analysis for cases when the solution approach is unclear that relate to a portion of a business or business process.
- Apply a breadth of experience from practical application of data science techniques and tools to solve difficult business problems.
- Use the latest techniques from the academic literature to identify the optimal approach to solve difficult business problems.
- Work independently and with your team to deliver solutions successfully.
- Work is consistently of a high quality (efficient, reproducible, testable, etc.) and incorporates best practices. Your team trusts your work.
- Write clear, useful technical documentation describing algorithms and design choices in your components to make it possible for other understand and reproduce your work.
You should have:
- PhD in computer science, machine learning, engineering, or related fields
- 10+ industrial/academic experience in deep learning, machine learning or a related field
- Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs
- Familiar with programming languages such as Python, C/C++, Java or Perl
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Passion for innovation and a track record of leading successful product launches
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to theEngineering Blog.
The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range displayed, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and / or training.
The US base salary range for this full-time position: (exclusive of bonus, equity and benefits.)