CIC is seeking a Senior Manager, Business Development to support the growing Japan Desk initiative based in Cambridge, MA. This person will supervise team members and report to Jessy LeClair, Director, CIC Japan Desk, overseeing implementation of new programs.
ABOUT CIC’S JAPAN DESK
CIC’s mission is to make the world better by helping create powerful innovation ecosystems, and we believe a way to do this is by building connections between innovation ecosystems of different nations. CIC has chosen to focus on the particularly high-potential opportunity of deepening relations between Japanese and American innovators, given the size of both countries’ economies as well as the significant cultural and language barriers that exist between them.
Accordingly, in 2016, CIC inaugurated the Japan Desk. The Japan Desk is CIC’s Boston-based touchpoint for Japanese and Japan-adjacent companies. In partnership with the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) and the Consulate General of Japan to Boston, among others, we support the work of Japanese CIC clients in the Greater Boston Area. This support includes making introductions to key players in the Boston innovation ecosystem, giving Japanese-language tours, providing briefing services for companies seeking to establish a presence in Massachusetts, and encouraging Boston-based startups to explore the Japan market.
CIC is an award-winning, global leader in building and operating innovation communities. Founded in 1999 in Cambridge, MA. CIC is one of the first companies to offer flexible office space and coworking options, providing a platform for the world’s most impactful entrepreneurs to innovate better and faster.
We have locations in Boston, Cambridge, Philadelphia, Providence, Rotterdam, St. Louis, Warsaw, and Tokyo and are growing into other cities, within the US and abroad. CIC has supported over 8,000 startups, growth companies, and branches of larger organizations, representing for-profit, mission-driven, and non-profit sectors across a wide array of industries.
CIC co-founded a number of mission-aligned organizations including Venture Café, CIC’s primary non-profit programming partner, and CIC Health, offering COVID-19 testing services to companies and the public.
We invite you to explore all our openings and learn more about our teams here.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY WORK
As the Japan Desk Senior Manager, you will work closely with the Director of the Japan Desk to implement new projects, including acceleration programs sponsored by various Japanese government agencies, innovation events, delegation tours, and more. You will directly manage team members, and you will report to the Director of the Japan Desk. You will also support the Director in sourcing and developing new programs and strategic directions.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Overseeing the operational and administrative details of acceleration programs in collaboration with Japanese government partners (e.g., connecting startups with mentors, arranging meetings with potential business partners, and helping startups connect with other important resources).These programs are aimed at supporting the overseas expansion of startups from Japan.
• Developing event programming and overseeing event execution to convene and promote the Japanese community in Boston by hosting events ranging from casual meetups to conferences, in collaboration with the Japanese Consulate and with other external partners both in Cambridge/Boston and in Japan.
• Managing the coordination of tours of CIC’s main campuses to promote awareness of CIC’s innovation campuses and brand to potential partners and clients.
• Providing oversight to continued efforts to build a network of local experts who are knowledgeable about the Boston innovation ecosystem and eager to support startups and companies from Japan.
• Providing thought leadership to the Director of the Japan Desk to develop the creation and implementation of new programs and initiatives.
• Representing CIC at onsite and offsite programs, events, tours and speaking opportunities, often in place of the Director of the Japan Desk.
• Managing and developing direct reports, including training and general team management, as well as supporting the Director of the Japan Desk to manage program operations and development for multiple projects simultaneously. Prioritizing needs among Japan Desk team members. Supporting project tracking and delivery and reprioritizing as demands necessitate.
• Overseeing client/partner issues escalated from other Japan Desk team members.
The ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics:
• Passion for startups, innovation, and entrepreneurship and excellent instincts as a connector/networker.
• Strong relationship-building and communication skills, with stakeholders ranging from solo entrepreneurs to government authorities to large corporations.
• Strong ability to maintain partner relationships.
• Clear and professional communication, with the ability to to adjust communication style depending on the audience and cultural context.
• Able to prioritize, delegate, and manage many tasks and projects simultaneously, ensuring that work is executed with a high level of detail.
• Team-player attitude; you are personable, happy to help others, and naturally drawn to a very busy, continually-evolving environment.
• Able to self-direct and anticipate problems and needs.
• Flexible, adaptable, and willing to learn.
• At least 4 years of professional experience, including at least 3 years of corporate experience working with Japanese companies and at least 1 year of management experience.
• Strong preference of a bachelor’s degree or significant relevant experience; advanced degrees welcome.
• Willingness to travel as needed.
• Native-level Japanese and English fluency. Must be able to produce professional, high-quality business communications in both languages.
• Because this role is based in Cambridge, MA, this role will require regularly (i.e. 3-5 days per week) working outside of normal working hours (e.g. early morning and late evening) to accommodate Japanese partners.
If you don’t meet all the requirements or qualifications but bring some other unique skills and experience that would be valuable in this role, please apply and highlight those attributes for us in your cover letter.
• Starting compensation is commensurate with experience.
• 100% company-paid premium healthcare and dental benefits.
• 100% company-paid long- and short-term disability, and life insurance.
• 401k (must be 21+).
• Three weeks of vacation accrued annually (more with seniority), plus thirteen holidays.
ATTRACTIONS OF THE JOB
In addition to helping our clients achieve great things, we work to ensure that our employees are healthy and supported.
Some of the benefits of being here include:
• Fun people in a dynamic space. We pride ourselves on finding driven and bright collaborators who are eager to lend their own unique skills to the team, as well as to our inspiring clientele. The number one reason CICers say they like working here is because of their colleagues!
• Personal growth. This is a great opportunity to learn and develop skills within the epicenter of the innovation community at a growing company.
• Free monthly massages, access to a nursing room, secure bicycle parking, a maker space, a gym, shower rooms with towels, and discounted services and memberships on resources to make your life happier/healthier such as gym memberships, tech and design support, hotel stays, and other fantastic options.
• Central location. CIC Cambridge is a stone’s throw from the Kendall Square MBTA Red Line stop. CIC Boston is centrally located in downtown Boston and is within walking distance to the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red line.
CIC is committed to building teams that reflect the fabric of the cities we support. We encourage and welcome all candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Any other human expressions and experiences not mentioned here are equally welcome. If you require an accommodation please let us know. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.