Director – Security Operations
Threat Hunting, Operations, And Incident Response
Posted on 11/8/2022
Remote • United States
- Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together
- Empathy: We believe in putting people first
- Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence
- Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work
- Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them
- Significant time spent in organizational and technical leadership roles
- 10+ years experience leading cybersecurity, security engineering, and/or threat intelligence programs
- 5+ years experience managing individual contributors to include experience managing other managers
- Experience working as a remote employee, and managing distributed teams
- Experience leading or operating within the entire security incident response lifecycle, to include threat intelligence analysis and production, threat detection tactics and techniques, threat hunting, and incident response and remediation practices
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Proven technical program management experience guiding strategic and tactical technical decision making and execution
- Experience supporting governance and regulatory requirements
- Pragmatic and collaborative approach to decision making and system design
- Demonstrative experience with core DFIR including system forensics, memory forensics, network analysis, malware analysis, cyber threat intelligence, or log analysis
- Experience with fighting Spam/Malware and building Account Takeover systems at scale
- Experience with content analysis, pattern recognition, or applied statistics
- Practical experience with common security infrastructure such as log/SIEM analysis systems, firewalls, identity and access management, vulnerability management, etc
- Tenacious tinkering, spelunking and curiosity capacity
- Cultivating an environment where team members are empowered and have a strong sense of ownership for their work
- Serving as a great people leader for the team, meeting with members 1-1 on a regular basis, providing performance feedback, and helping individuals plan and execute on their career development objectives
- Guiding the team's vision, helping build roadmaps, ensuring projects get staffed effectively, and setting priorities that align with both the team and the company's goals
- Serving as the hiring manager for the team to bring in new engineers who not only complement the existing team's skills, but who also have new perspectives, ideas, and experiences
- Establishing and maintaining intra-department, cross-department, and management level communications
- Being passionate about creating and fostering good security practices and processes throughout the company
- Leading small group discussions about security issues with both technical and non-technical audiences, while making sure discussion highlights are captured in written form to benefit those not present
- Innovating around measurement and metrics
- Are an active contributor to open source security projects and/or security community initiatives, such as cyber risk framework development contributions
- Exposure to cyber threat information sharing networks and programs
- Exposure to different software development life-cycles
- Working knowledge of Git and GitHub
- Demonstrated software development experience with Go, Ruby and Rails, bash, python, or other languages
- Time spent securing and/or defending large-scale web/cloud applications and infrastructure
- Building or managing creation of data pipelines
- Builder of classifiers (rule-based and machine learned) to detect illegitimate content and behavior
- Experience with Machine Learning
- Expertise in data analytics
Open-source code hosting
GitHub is on a mission is to build a global platform for developer collaboration. The company operates an open-source coding hosting and collaboration platform
- A diverse and inclusive workplace - At GitHub, we think that a diverse company is a strong company, and we work hard to foster a supportive and welcoming workplace. Learn more about our commitment to diversity.
- Work happier - Build amazing things with a balance of autonomy and collaborative teamwork. Set your own work schedule and make use of a flexible PTO plan when you need to recharge.
- Lead from any location - GitHub is a remote-first company with offices located throughout the US, Europe, and Asia. Whether you live near an office or not, GitHub believes you can do your best work wherever you are. If you work remotely, you will receive a stipend to outfit your home office and receive reoccurring reimbursement refreshes.
- Put your health and family first - You’ll enjoy 100% coverage of health insurance premiums across our medical, dental, and vision plan offerings, including coverage for dependents. We also offer five months of paid family leave to all new parents with the option to use it all at once or throughout the baby’s first year.
- Find your zen - GitHub provides a monthly wellness stipend designed to cover anything from gym memberships, massage, meditation apps, or any other wellness related expenses.
- Invest in your future - At GitHub, you’ll have a stake in the future success of our platform with equity grants. For full-time employees, we offer competitive 401k planning with a 50% company match up to the IRS 402(g) annual limit.
- Keep growing - Learn how you learn best. From books to conferences, you’ll get a yearly budget for your individual learning and development goals.
- Give back to your community - We believe in sharing our time, resources, and products to contribute to positive social impact. GitHub matches charitable donations up to $15,000 per calendar year. And for each hour (up to 40 hours) of volunteering per year, you will receive $20 to donate to an organization of your choice.
Company Core Values
- Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
- Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
- Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
- Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
- Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.