London, United Kingdom
6 month growth↑ 4%
1 year growth↑ 32%
2 year growth↑ 53%
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to work quickly and accurately
- Knowledge and understanding of the target audience
- Commitment to brand values and principles
- Experience in news reporting and editing
- Covering the assistant editor’s maternity leave
- Pitching ideas for stories and sections
- Writing and editing copy
- Assisting with longer-term planning
- Nurturing relationships with contributors
- Contributing to the weekly podcast and social media posts
- Deputising for section editors when necessary
- Experience in children's publishing
- Experience in podcast production
- Experience in social media management
The Week Junior is looking for an assistant editor as maternity cover. The role is part-time, four days a week, with three days a week in the London office. The Week Junior is a multi- award-winning, market-leading magazine for children. Its mission is to explain complex news, events and ideas clearly and concisely to a curious audience of eight to 14-year-olds,
- You will be working on a fast-paced weekly news magazine for a young and inquisitive audience.
- The role is a key position in a creative and enthusiastic team.
- We’re looking for someone who can juggle multiple deadlines, cares about the details and enjoys collaborating with others to conceive and create engaging content for curious young readers.
What you’ll be doing…
You will be covering the assistant editor’s maternity leave. Reporting to the deputy editor, you will be working within a busy team to help produce our award winning weekly newsmagazine for children. You will pitch ideas for stories and sections, write and edit copy and work with colleagues to create and approve layouts. You will assist with longer-term planning, nurture relationships with contributors and take a proactive approach to identifying new talent and opportunities that will benefit the brand. From time to time you may also be required to contribute to The Week Junior’s weekly podcast, and the magazine’s monthly sister title, Science+Nature.
- Planning, pitching, writing, commissioning and first-editing features and sections of The Week Junior magazine.
- Working closely with the senior editors, pictures, design and production teams to ensure pages are put together efficiently, accurately and to the highest standards.
- Supporting the editor and section editors.
- Contributing to the weekly podcast, creating social media posts and getting involved in events and other initiatives as required.
- Occasionally deputising for section editors (e.g. during periods of annual leave or sickness absence).
Experience that will put you ahead of the curve…
- A keen nose for news and an intuitive sense of what our readers require to help them make sense of a story.
- Strong writing, editing, organisational, planning and communication skills.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, turning out work that is of a consistently high standard.
- Attention to detail – from rigorously checking sense, clarity, tone, accuracy and spelling to ensuring the overall mix and balance of stories and images is right for our readers.
- Flexibility – in a fast-paced, demanding environment you may be called on to assist others. Responsibilities may change to ensure the team is playing to their individual strengths.
- Knowledge and understanding of the target audience – their reading and comprehension levels as well as their interests, abilities, challenges and lifestyles, and the wider conversations around representation, diversity and inclusion that are shaping their lives.
- Insatiable curiosity – seeking out stories, challenging information and checking the facts are all key to maintaining the reputation for quality that is core to The Week Junior’s success.
- Commitment to honouring the values and principles underpinning the brand – particularly accessibility, diverse representation, objectivity and positivity.
- Respect for the children and families who invest in The Week Junior and trust us to provide content of the highest quality.
What’s in it for you…
We have a number of awesome perks available to our staff. We offer huge opportunities to learn and develop, whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues. We have a fantastic culture where we really do care about our people and want everyone to succeed. Varied roles mean you’re not pigeonholed in to one finite area but get the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills and experience
And to top it all off, not only do we offer unlimited holiday because we trust you to manage your workload and time but we also offer a share in our success whereby every colleague is eligible to join our profit pool bonus scheme - if Future hits their performance targets all colleagues may receive a bonus.
Internal Job Family E6
The expected budget for this role is £26,000
This is a part time (30 hour) hybrid role from our London Office, working three days from the office, one from home
Who are we…
We’re Future. We’re 3000+ colleagues over 250+ brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We’ve got ambitious plans that build on our growth momentum and unlock new opportunities and we’re looking for talented people who want to be a part of it.
Our Future, Our Responsibility - Inclusion and Diversity at Future
We have a voice and we’re going to use it. We promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do. We’re an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process is free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respecting of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values and employees - current and future - are treated with respect and fairness.
Please let us know if you need any reasonable adjustments made so we can give you the best experience!
Find out more about Our Future, Our Responsibility on our website.