Machine Learning Engineer
Posted on 3/23/2023
Remote • United States
- At least 5 years years industry experience doing software development on a data or machine learning team
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field (e.g. stats, physics, computer science) and some experience in software engineering in a production environment
- Knowledge about how to manipulate data to perform analysis, including querying data, defining metrics, or slicing and dicing data to evaluate a hypothesis
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Comfort working directly with your users
- Empathy with users and a strong customer focus
- Enjoyment in working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
- Design machine learning systems and pipelines for training and running machine learning models that improve the efficiency of transactions on Stripe. This could involve:
- Building prediction models for new aspects of transaction outcomes, like whether we expect to win a dispute given auto-submitted evidence
- Improving the accuracy of our prediction models for transaction outcomes, like whether a payment will be accepted or declined by the card network, or disputed as fraudulent by a cardholder
- Understanding our users' business needs in order to evaluate model performance and improve the value model we use to evaluate transaction outcomes
- Developing and evaluating new model architectures which improve the accuracy of our prediction models
- Incorporate new features and sources of data
- Writing simulation code on our distributed clusters to help us understand what would happen across different segments if we changed how we action our models
- Integrating new models and behaviors into Stripe's core payment flow
- Collaborating with our machine learning infrastructure team to build support for new model types into our scoring infrastructure
- Mentor engineers earlier in their technical careers to help them grow
- Experience in payments
Payment processing platform
Stripe's mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. Stripe is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the internet.
- Inclusive coverage - We provide a thoughtful and balanced set of benefits that allow Stripes to be their best selves and do great work. Whether that means offering comprehensive mental, physical, and medical health plans, supporting Stripes’ financial futures, providing fertility benefits and parental leave, or making sure Stripes have access to healthy food at the office, our robust programs put Stripes and their families first.
- Growth by way of learning - We are voracious learners and teachers. Our Education team delivers an onboarding and product training curriculum for all new Stripes, and hosts expert-led courses on things like project management fundamentals and macroeconomics. Beyond the formal program, Stripes are constantly sharing knowledge with each other through conversation, documentation, reading groups, and informal talks.
- A principled approach to food - The food program holds a special place in Stripe’s history and future. These Stripes come to our kitchen from a breadth of backgrounds and experiences, and focus on one proposition—respect. This is apparent not only in the local ingredients they work with or in the gracious, teamwork-driven buffet lines, but also in their approach to growing a global team through sustainable food practices and minimal waste.
Company Core Values
- An environment of growth
- Intentional communication
- Fast-paced, detail oriented
- Voraciously curious