Los Angeles, California
6 month growth↑ 19%
1 year growth↑ 19%
2 year growth↑ 19%
- Experience at a top consulting firm
- Experience leading projects involving data analysis and solution implementation
- Ability to shape team culture and advocate for ideas
- Demonstrated commitment to doing good and helping people
- Devising strategy and managing projects
- Gathering and analyzing data
- User research and product development
- Growth marketing and venture finance
- Experience with marketplace businesses or complex consumer services
- Consumer-focused research or discovery work
- Comfortable interviewing and empathizing with people from all walks of life
At any given time, 16 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance could transform their lives. But today, most never get it.
Atticus makes it easy for any sick or injured person in crisis to get the life-changing aid they deserve. In just three years, we’ve become the leading platform connecting people with disabilities to government benefits. We also help victims of accidents, misconduct, and violence get compensation from insurance. So far, we’ve gotten thousands of people access to over $2B in life-changing aid, and we’re just getting started.
We’ve helped more than 20,000 people in need (see our 6,000+ five-star reviews) and raised more than $50 million from top VC firms like Forerunner, GV (Google Ventures), and True Ventures. (We just closed our Series B round in May 2023, so we’re well-funded for the foreseeable future.) We’re small but moving fast — our team grew from 52 to 91 last year and we expect to grow again in 2024.
Our business is complex and multi-faceted: We play in an enormous space with huge barriers to entry, we have no direct competitors, and as a two-sided marketplace we have to coordinate multiple constituencies via a complex funnel with some parts that are all tech and others that are fully human. Every day we face new operating challenges that require someone to quickly gather data, make a decision, and execute.
So, in addition to software engineers, lawyers, and marketers, our team includes a bunch of ex-consultants (our CEO is a BCG alum and two other folks joined from McKinsey). To a level that’s unusual among our peer startups, we’re investing in building a top-tier Strategy & Business Operations team that oversees the core of our business and drives key projects, and we’re hiring several more consultants to join it.
This job mixes things in any good consultant’s comfort zone (devising strategy, managing and coordinating projects, gathering and analyzing data) with responsibilities unique to being an operator in a fast-growing tech company (user research, product development, growth marketing, venture finance). In a typical week you might do any of the following:
- Work with marketing to launch and measure our first podcast ads — research the market to figure out how others handle attribution, then build a system to measure impact and decide what return we’d need to expand audio as a channel.
- Craft an experiment to see if adding a chat function to our website boosts conversion without over-burdening our client care team; pick a provider, work with engineering to implement it, train our client-facing staff — then make it live, measure its impact, and decide whether to make it permanent or not.
- Interview 20 partner law firms to prioritize the next set of features we’ll build, then partner with Design and Product to craft a formal roadmap and mock up wireframes for our next product launch.
The role is a rare opportunity to join a fast-growing Series B startup in a position that mixes strategy and execution, includes mentorship from people who have been in your shoes, and gives a deep exposure to startup finance and operations. It’s designed to be a path to (a) staying here and growing as an executive (including the chance to become a Product Manager), (b) heading to grad school, or (c) or starting your own company down the road.
- You were/ are at a top consulting firm and have either been promoted or are about to get there.
- You’ve led projects where you mapped complex systems, gathered and analyzed data, made recommendations, and helped design and implement solutions.
- You’re a kind and thoughtful colleague who knows how to shape a great team culture, persuasively advocate for your ideas, and get buy-in from others.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to doing good and helping people.
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You have experience with marketplace businesses or complex consumer services (insurance, fintech, medical, real estate, etc.).
- You’ve done consumer-focused research or discovery work, or something else that makes you comfortable interviewing and empathizing with people from all walks of life.
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d love to meet you.
Salary and Benefits
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, well-respected backers, tremendous growth, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch many lives.
We offer competitive pay — including equity — and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered
- 15 vacation days & ~19 paid holidays each year (including two weeks at end-of-year)
- Free membership to OneMedical
- $1,000 reimbursable stipend for education and training outside of work
- Student loan repayment assistance, 401(k), and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and regular team dinners/events/retreats
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
We anticipate the base salary band for this role will be between $130,000 to $160,000 in addition to equity and benefits. The salary at offer will be determined by a number of factors such as candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity among our team.
Today, about half our team are in Los Angeles or Phoenix (where we have offices) and half are fully remote and spread across the U.S. There are two options for this job:
- Live in Los Angeles, work a few days a week (or more) out of our beautiful office in the Arts District.
- Live wherever, work remotely, and travel to LA (on the company dime) as needed to be with your colleagues —somewhere between monthly and quarterly.
In short: You can do this job well remotely, and we’re committed to empowering everyone with flexibility. But we care a lot about building a great culture and we think some interactions need to happen in person, so we put a lot of thought into retreats, offsites, and other ways to gather.