What is Later?
Later is the leading social media marketing and commerce platform that helps small business owners and creators grow their brands and businesses online. With a unique combination of tools, machine-learning-based recommendations, and education, Later makes it easy to visually plan & schedule social content, drive traffic, and increase sales – empowering customers to turn their passions into possibilities.
Later started at a hackathon in late 2013. Six months later, “Latergramme” launched to almost 20,000 people waiting to use the first version. Later is now the leading visual marketing platform for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest in the world with over seven million users, and in 2021 was ranked #18 in Canada in Deloitte’s Fast 50 list, #119 in North America, and placed 51st in the Globe and Mail’s Fastest Growing Companies list.
Later & Mavrck
In March 2022, Later was acquired by Boston-based influencer marketing platform Mavrck. The Mavrck platform allows large enterprise brands to automate their influencer marketing strategy for smoother partnerships and performance on campaigns. Together, we’re helping connect creators & marketers together to grow their social followings and businesses on social media.
We are currently looking for a passionate DevOps Engineer to join our skilled Production Engineering team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing high-quality, scalable, and resilient infrastructure that enables the rest of the engineering team to reliably deliver value to our customers.
Reporting to our Software Engineering Manager, this position offers the flexibility of a hybrid work model that combines remote and in-office collaboration.
What you will be doing:
As a DevOps Engineer at Later, you will play a crucial role in implementing infrastructure as code and GitOps practices to ensure efficient and reliable infrastructure management. You will work closely with our engineering teams, including backend, frontend, and mobile teams, to optimize our technology and processes, share your knowledge and experiences, and improve our capabilities.
At Later engineering, we are particularly keen on the following:
- Collaboration: You will work closely with different teams to ensure the successful delivery of our roadmap. You will educate product and stakeholders on the trade-offs of different paths to a given milestone, enabling them to make informed decisions.
- Continuous learning: You will be given dedicated unstructured dev time to stay up-to-date with new technologies, write technical blog articles, create internal tools, and make open-source contributions.
- High coding standards: You will hold other developers to high coding standards through PR reviews.
- Ownership: You will take ownership of pieces of code, infrastructure, and processes and continuously work to improve them.
- Scalability: You will know how to scale workloads while managing the various resources used by them.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Implementing IaC and GitOps practices for change management and site reliability
- Owning and improving deployment processes for our different apps and services
- Supporting CI/CD pipelines for the various development teams
- Maintaining documentation and runbooks for the services and infrastructure
- Owning and scheduling maintenance for dependencies, databases and cache stores
- Owning and improving infrastructure monitoring and alarming
- Improving and optimizing the use of our AWS infrastructure
- Automating common tasks to streamline processes and improve efficiency
- Participating in the on-call rotation
Our tech stack
- A moderately sized Ruby on Rails monolith
- Dockerized services written in Node, Ruby, and Elixir
- Node/Express/Typescript API
- Postgres, Redis, and DynamoDB datastores
- Infrastructure on top of AWS (ECS, EKS, and Lambda)
- CI/CD pipeline with CircleCI and ArgoCD
We are committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career. If you identify with any of the following, we encourage you to apply!
- 3+ years of experience shipping code and services in production environments
- Minimum 2+ years devops experience
- Strong experience supporting AWS based deployments, K8s preferred
- Experience working with service-oriented setup
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code
- Experience CI/CD pipelines across multiple domains
- Familiarity with Postgres (or other relational DBs)
- Familiarity with cloud based security best practices
- Familiarity with Agile process
Nice to haves
We believe that good devops people have the ability to pick up new processes and technologies quickly, but some of the following will help you hit the ground running in one area or another.
- Ruby on Rails applications
- Typescript/Express applications
- Elixir services
- Docker and Kubernetes deployments
- AWS based DevSecOps
- Lead with Humility: We put what’s best for all ahead of what’s best for one - no big egos here.
- Adapt + Grow: We view uncertainty as opportunity and nimbly adapt.
- Make it Happen: We have big ambitions and the courage to achieve them.
- Succeed Together: We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment - there’s a seat for everyone here.
- Celebrate: We bring an optimistic mindset into everything we do. We celebrate progress, each other, and unique perspectives.
Some perks of being on our team include...
- We are passionate about learning and development, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training and workshops. We also provide each employee with a $3000 per year Education & Conference budget.
- We provide our employees with a monthly Wellness Spending Account, to help cover costs related to fitness equipment, personal training, gym memberships, or health and wellness practitioners.
- We provide our team with a generous technology bonus and provide the tools you need to succeed in your role.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family.
- We offer flexible working hours & schedules so you can work around school and home commitments.
- We offer parental leave top-ups, family forming support, and a life-transitions program to ensure you and your family are well supported when returning to work
- We provide a variety of workshops, meditation, and yoga at our monthly Wellness Wednesday events to help our team perform at their best.
- All departments have quarterly department team building activities
Where we work
Later is proudly founded and based in Vancouver. Our team can work remotely from one of our hub city locations: Vancouver, Toronto, or London UK. We post our positions in the hub location that we are looking to hire for that role. Mavrck is based in Boston, MA.
Diversity, inclusion, and accessibility
Later values diversity of thought; we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or age. Please let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.