Posted on 3/17/2022
Burlingame, CA, USA
- Analytical about games. You have a good understanding of a broad variety of games and types of games. When someone suggests a new game feature, you can reference a previous game that tried it and explain why it did or didn't work. This requires a diversity of gaming experience that covers well-known and more obscure games
- Familiar with tools such as Roblox Studio. The Assessment Tools team develops in Roblox Studio. Game Designers are not expected to create complex experiences or systems on their own, but familiarity and experience with the involved steps is useful. You will work with Roblox Studio and quickly learn your way around
- A strong team member. You communicate effectively in meetings and documentation. You resolve conflicts rather than creating them. You get things done!
- Experienced at finding creative solutions to gameplay problems. You have been involved in multiple game development projects, like published games or student work. Through this experience, you developed familiarity with common problems in game design and how to solve them. You faced tough questions and came up with creative solutions
- Someone who enjoys working with data. You can manipulate information in spreadsheet or json form, and balance game systems in ways that align with the product's overall goal
- Excited about working on engaging assessments. Our projects are not entertainment-based products. While we strive to make assessments that are engaging to the players, our first goal is always to make an assessment that measures something
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Game Design, or other related field
- Experience working on 3+ game projects. Game projects can be professional, student and/or personal in nature
- Experience working on game projects in 1+ game engines (2+ preferred), like Unity, Unreal, Roblox Studio, Twine, or other
- Create original game designs. A key responsibility of this role is to take a specific cognitive skill and create game designs that potentially assess it. This includes communicating these ideas through documentation and presentations with the goal of getting support from partners
- Prototype ideas. Get hands-on in Roblox studio and rapidly prototype different ideas for exploration purposes, and present them to Learning Scientists
- Create and refine gameplay data. that drives the specific details of an assessment. Refine the data to get the desired response from players
- Run user testing and interpret results. Facilitate gameplay and usability tests, and adjust design of assessment based on testing results and scientific analysis. Identify problems and develop creative solutions
- Experience contributing to game and prototype development
- Have worked on educational or serious games projects
- Familiarity developing with Roblox Studio and/or Lua
- Have experience working in education or cognitive science-related fields
Game platform and game creation system
Roblox’s mission is to bring the world together through play. They enable anyone to imagine, create, and have fun with friends as they explore millions of immersive 3D experiences, all built by a global community of developers.
- Benefits and Perks - The health and well-being of our employees and their families is our top priority. We offer robust and comprehensive programs with variety to best meet your needs.
- Well-Being Benefits - With flexible time off and a bi-annual, company-wide spring/summer recharge, Roblox knows how to balance working hard with winding down.
- Financial Benefits - Competitive compensation packages, 401(k) matching, and flexible share incentives that let you choose how to share in our success.
- Health and Wellness - Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, family planning resources, and 12 weeks off for all new parents.
- Flexible Workplace - Our hybrid work schedule balances working onsite and working remotely. Enjoy daily lunch and an in-house fitness center when working from our San Mateo headquarters.
Company Core Values
- Inspire Others
- Work Hard
- Respect the Community
- Get Stuff Done