The Senior Pre-Production Pipeline Engineer at Skydance Animation is a member of the Production Technology team. They are responsible for developing and maintaining studio production pipelines and finding technical solutions to creative problems. The Production Technology team provides the tools and capabilities for our artists to create animated content in third-party CGI software. The ideal candidate has experience building and supporting multiple pipelines in multiple environments, possesses excellent communication skills, is highly collaborative, and is able to quickly learn new workflows and technical skills.
In order to be considered for this position, you must have legal residence in the state of California, Washington, Texas, New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.
- Develop, improve, and maintain the pre-production, production and vendor pipelines under the guidance of the Lead Pipeline Engineer
- Collaborate with technical staff across studio sites and external partners to increase the efficiency of dailies, data exchange, and production tracking
- Thoroughly understand how data moves through the animation production process, both internally and when working with external partners
- Work with Technical Directors to identify areas of improvement to the pipeline based on production workflows and needs
- Establish high-functioning levels of communication with production and technical staff both within the studio and at external vendors and partners
- Provide guidance and mentorship in areas of expertise to other members of the Production Technology team
- Partner with IT to evaluate and integrate changes to the studio infrastructure
- Examine new and innovative technologies, evaluate, and ultimately present how to improve the pipeline
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, or comparable discipline and/or technical knowledge gained through equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple competing projects and priorities
- Solid understanding of feature production and vendor pipelines and workflows
- Experience developing pipelines for animation pre-production departments such as Story, Editorial, and Previz
- Experience with third party software packages such as Adobe Photoshop, Foundry Flix, Autodesk Maya, Foundry Nuke, and Autodesk ShotGrid
- Proficiency with Python scripting language
- 4+ years professional experience in computer animation, visual effects, or the game industry, preferred
- Experience with pipeline and plugin development in third party DCC tools, preferred
- Experience with other toolkits and systems such as Qt, Docker, Git, AWS, preferred
- Experience with OSX, Windows, and Linux operating systems, preferred
The annual range for this exempt position in Los Angeles is $140,000-185,000/year. The rate offered may vary based on the candidate’s location, qualifications, experience and relevant expertise, among other factors. The range indicated is for base salary only and does not reflect the total compensation package, including bonus, benefits, etc.
We realize that skills and expertise can come from many different experiences and paths, and we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all of the requirements as written in the job description.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you either from our “@skydance.com” email addresses or from the “@lever.co” email addresses of our candidate tracking system. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at [email protected]