What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for an Electrical Engineer III to join the Product Development team. Your primary responsibility will be design of ePCS (electric Powertrain Control System) components, including system controllers, high-power DC-DC converters, AC-DC converters, and motor controllers. This position will contribute at all stages of the product development process and will work closely with Hardware, Software, and Manufacturing engineers to ensure Motiv designs result in successful products. You will be responsible for maintaining an expertise in the electric vehicle and component technology landscape, understanding how various advancements might fit into Motiv’s system and to ensure Motiv stays at the leading edge of development in the heavy-duty electrical vehicles industry. This position reports to the Electrical Engineering Manager and is based out of the Foster City office or may be remotely located based on need.
- Expertise with power electronics design for DC/DC and DC/AC designs up to 1kV/500A
- Extensive experience with component level analog and digital design
- Thermal analysis for electronics
- DFM and DFT for high volume cost sensitive markets
- Proficiency with lab equipment and design verification
- Understanding of digital control techniques and signal processing
- Basic competence in C++ embedded programming
- Bootstrapping/Boot Loader low level driver design experience
- Skilled with simulation tools such as SPICE and PSIM
- Knowledge of EMI mitigation techniques and filter design
- Familiarity with EDA tools such as Altium or PADs
- Automotive experience, specifically heavy-duty vehicles
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Basic working knowledge of Python
- Familiarity with object-orientation programming
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skill
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline required. Master’s degree preferred
- 5-7+ years of relevant experience; exceptional candidates with less experience will be considered
- Can work on the vehicle to troubleshoot wiring harness related issues if needed
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- $130,000-150,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Foster City, CA.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.