Data Engineering Manager
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
San Francisco, CA, USA
- 4+ years experience in data engineering, analytics engineering, or data architecture
- 2+ years experience as a data engineering manager and have successfully managed multiple individual contributors
- Experience hiring and growing data engineers
- 4+ years of experience in developing robust data models based off of structured and unstructured sources at massive scale
- 4+ years of experience writing accurate and effective code in SQL and Python
- An ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways and navigate environments where problems are not well-defined (and evolve quickly)
- Experience leveraging your excellent communication skills to thrive in areas where problems are not well-defined and evolve quickly
- Experience proactively identifying opportunities to improve ETL and dashboard performance and cost
- A desire to work with amazing, passionate people who care deeply about solving challenging problems to improve Discord
- Last but not least - a collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Develop and execute a roadmap to build and optimize foundational datasets to ensure delivery of high-quality ergonomic data across multiple company verticals
- Develop and execute a roadmap to establish data quality as a given, at scale
- Partner with data platform teams to identify opportunities to improve infrastructure and influence their roadmaps accordingly
- Inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the data organization at Discord
- Grow a world-class team, expanding the impact and reach of data at Discord
- Establish a collaborative culture that thrives on innovation and impact
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Experience owning and proactively improving data models, implementing best practices, and influencing large-scale change
- Experience collaborating directly with data science, infrastructure, and product engineering teams
- Experience with modern data storage and processing technologies (i.e. BigQuery SQL, Looker, Airflow, and DBT or similar)
- Experience designing data architecture to power a variety of uses cases, including machine learning and experimentation
Gaming communication platform
Discord's mission is to build an easy-to-use communication service that gives people a place to talk, build relationships, and belong.
- Stay healthy - We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans.
- Parental perks - Spend some quality time with the next generation with parental leave, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits.
- Kick back - Stay refreshed with over 19 paid holidays, use-what-you-need sick days, and four weeks of PTO.
- Commute easy - In a non-COVID world, get up to $270 per month for your commuting and parking needs.
- The loadout - When we’re back in the office, enjoy daily catered lunches and snacks, a desk fund to make your space yours, and whatever you need for your computer setup, including a headphone allowance.
- Wellness on us - Take advantage of a quarterly wellness allowance for your gym membership or other wellness activities. Virtual yoga every week!
- Transgender benefits - Discord will reimburse up to $20,000 for any procedure related to transition.
- Discord HQ - Our office is located in Potrero Hill, a little neighborhood in San Francisco near awesome coffee and food.
- Relocation - Excellent relocation bonuses for new hires moving to San Francisco (once it’s safe to return).
Company Core Values
- Upside Down Leadership
- Small & Mighty Teams
- Unleash Talent
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint