One Medical is a primary care solution challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to transform healthcare, which means improving the experience for everyone involved - from patients and providers to employers and health networks. Our seamless in-office and 24/7 virtual care services, on-site labs, and programs for preventive care, chronic care management, common illnesses and mental health concerns have been delighting people for the past fifteen years.
In February 2023 we marked a milestone when One Medical joined Amazon. Together, we look to deliver exceptional health care to more consumers, employers, care team members, and health networks to achieve better health outcomes. As we continue to grow and seek to impact more lives, we’re building a diverse, driven and empathetic team, while working hard to cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive.
As we continue to expand our capacity to transform primary care for all, we are seeking to add a Senior Counsel - Clinical and Regulatory to our legal team. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel - Clinical and Regulatory, the Senior Counsel will support our company’s clinical and regulatory matters, as well as be a key adviser to One Medical’s clinicians and operations team. The Senior Counsel’s work will also include addressing practice-related inquiries, medical board or similar complaints, and consulting in malpractice or related claims. The successful candidate will demonstrate the combination of legal expertise and practical sensibility needed to be a trusted partner to our clinical and operations team members. Consistent with One Medical’s DNA, the Senior Counsel will have a service-focused ethos in their delivery of legal support, with a solution-oriented approach as well as a genuine appreciation for our providers and patients.
Critical to your success will be your ability to collaborate and work seamlessly across clinical, operational and compliance functions, partnering with stakeholders across the organization to address the challenges and opportunities of a national primary care practice. If you are passionate about empowering clinical and operational teams to excel, embrace being a key partner to a cross-functional set of stakeholders, and are comfortable navigating the ambiguity that exists within an innovative, national and technology-forward primary care practice, we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll work on:
- Advise our providers and clinical teams on laws and regulations that govern the practice of medicine in and across our markets, such as scope of practice, licensure, and supervision requirements.
- Provide guidance to our billing and operations teams on questions related to billing and coding, staffing; support Compliance with internal and external audits.
- Consult and collaborate with litigation counsel on med mal, board complaints, investigations and patient dispute resolution efforts.
- Advise on compliance with state and federal healthcare laws, including those related to telehealth, corporate practice of medicine restrictions, and fraud, waste and abuse laws.
- Support the structuring and management of our professional corporations and other affiliated entities in keeping with healthcare laws and regulations.
- Assist the organization with clinical and regulatory legal needs in connection with M&A and or other strategic opportunities, including due diligence and integration activities.
- Effectively utilize outside counsel and advisors.
What you’ll need:
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and an active member in good standing with the Bar in any state
- 7+ years post bar experience as a healthcare regulatory attorney, with at least 2 years working in an in-house capacity in a health system, health tech organization, health plan or healthcare related government agency advising providers and health care business leaders.
- Expertise relating to laws and regulations applicable to the practice of medicine, federal and state Fraud, Waste and Abuse Laws, the corporate practice of medicine doctrine; demonstrated working knowledge of value-based care and working with health plans; experience relating to broker/agent laws, marketing, and billing and coding compliance.
- Preference for strong working knowledge of telehealth and other practice of medicine regulations, state or other local laws concerning direct primary care and health insurance, federal healthcare reform, HIPAA, and ERISA.
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program - Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs - Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Opportunity to participate in company equity programs
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Company paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time remote role based in the United States but preference will be given to candidates residing in the San Francisco Bay Area with capacity to work with a hybrid remote and in-person model.
One Medical is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The base salary range for this role is $152,000 to $258,000. However, actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate. These factors include, but are not limited to, job related knowledge and skill set, depth of experience, certifications and/or degrees, and specific work location.
The total compensation package for certain roles may also include additional components such as a sign-on bonus, annual performance bonus, equity grants in the form of RSUs, medical and other benefits and/or other applicable incentive compensation plans. For more information, please visit https://www.onemedical.com/careers/.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
Subject to applicable law, proof of COVID 19 vaccination is required for employees and contractors who interact with patients, access a shared office space or engage with other team members, except where a medical or religious accommodation applies.
One Medical participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. Please refer to the E-Verification Poster (English/Spanish) and Right to Work Poster (English/Spanish) for additional information.